Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1999 E55 replacing factory unit- need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S600 ; 1999 E55 (sold)
1999 E55 replacing factory unit- need help!

Hi, just purchased a '99 E55. It has a Bose stereo with MB head unit - tape deck only , controls for a cd changer + tape but they are not attached. (Sorry, I do not know the "W' number or similar).

I would like to add a new Alpine (CDA-9847) unit which can play MP3-cd's without using a FM modulator. I went to Best Buy and they advised that I would have to buy an 'amp bypass' for $100 because the Bose speakers are not compatible with aftermarket head units.

But, they said the sound would not be that good using amp bypass, they recommended getting new speakers - then I would not have to use amp bypass. Unfortunately total bill for all this would be over $500 including install.

Question is, is this good advice? I am an absolute newbie at car stereo stuff and not sure if he is trying to sell me unneeded equipment.

e.g. Does an amp bypass hurt the sound quality?
Are the factory Bose speakers good? Worth replacing?
How would I replace the tweeters in the door handles, etc? The salesman said they just "wouldnt work any more" but did not have an answer on how to replace them. ?

Pls Help - Thanks in advance!!

Aaron Benner
Old 09-08-2005, 08:43 PM

1979 911SC, 2001 E55, 1999 CLK430, 1993 190E 2.6
That is not entirely true. They can install it without bypassing the amp by sending a hi-level signal through the factory harness. Where are you located
?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:17 PM

I am in Houston , Texas. Will update the profile - thanks!
"Sending a high level signal through the factory harness" - can you expand on that? Does this reduce sound quality or require special equipment?
I am going to try Tweeter next to see if they have the same opinion. Would love to find a good local guy but unfortunately am new to the area.
Thanks! Aaron
Old 09-09-2005, 11:07 PM

1996 S 420
!

because the Bose speakers are not compatible with aftermarket head units. = MYTH
More blah blah from sales people that don't know what they're talking about. I'm surprise he didn't tell you your speakers were fiber optic and had to be changed!

Your stock radio has a built in amp rated at approx 4x25 watts. The radio amp feeds the power amp in the trunk which then feeds the speakers. Does this Alpine unit you're interested in have built-in amps? If so, you should be in business. If not, it probably won't work because the power amp needs a high level input not low level pre-amp input.

High level signal just means a signal that has been amplified enough to drive speakers, as opposed to low level (pre-amp) signal which is designed to drive some power amplifiers. Some power amps are made to work with high level, some are made to work with low level. Your MB is high level. MB does this so they can use the same head unit in cars with or without a power amp.

Ray
www.perfectmarketaudio.com
Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 PM

All, thanks much for the input. You were right, they did the hi level signal to connect the Alpine directly without using the bose connection amp or otherwise...goes directly to the existing bose speakers and output sounds great!

I was going to go for the ipod connector, but instead went for the new dva-9860 which plays both dvd's (to external screen in headrest, etc) but also plays the new dvd-mp3 standard. That means 4.7Gb of songs, over 1000 songs on one DVD which is way more than my ipod mini, also frees it up for jogging etc!!

Thanks again everyone. Aaron