Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

i-Pod kit idiosyncrasies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 03:23 PM
ahm
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500 (W216)
i-Pod kit idiosyncrasies

I just got installed the i-Pod kit in my CLK-350 and am very happy with the results. The sound is much, much better than using the iPod's headphone-out plug connected to the car's Aux port (the bass finally appeared). I noticed though a few details that make the whole experience akward. Perhaps someone here can shed some light:

1. I created a playlist called Best where I placed all the five-star songs. The problem is that those songs remain isolated and cannot be accessed through Songs, Artists, Genre, etc. The only way to access them is through the Best playlist. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

2. The same Best playlist only plays in sequencial mode: the random feature does not work with it. The random feature does work when choosing a Genre, Artist, etc. Again, is this normal?

3. The list of Artists shown in the car display is different than the one in the iPod. For example, a have only one entry for Cyrus Chestnut in the iPod, while the car display shows two, "Cyrus Chestnut" and "Cyrus Chestnut, base". It looks like a database discrepancy, but does anyone know how to reconcile the information? Does the iPod module "imports" the database from the iPod or it just reads it each time you access it?

4. Is there any reason why MB recommends setting the iPod's EQ to Pop?

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by ahm; 09-29-2005 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:37 AM
ahm
Almost a Member!

CL500 (W216)
Regarding the kit, there are two more details that are worth mentioning: first, the volume out is much higher than the one obtained using the AUX (the kit uses iPod's line-out port). I used to have to bring the volume all the way up in order to listen to certain songs, while now it seats comfortably somewhere in the middle. Second, it seems strange to have to use the down arrow (on the steering wheel) in order to move to the next song, and the up arrow to move to the previous one. Shouldn't it have been more intuitive the other way around?
Old 09-30-2005, 03:55 PM

'03 C32 Black
I just bought the 30GB iPod and am using the aux line from the glove box (which sucks by the way). How much did the iPod installation kit cost you?

I only am getting sound out of the left speakers!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:34 PM

2002 C230K Coupe & 2005 C230 SS
Originally Posted by ahm
Second, it seems strange to have to use the down arrow (on the steering wheel) in order to move to the next song, and the up arrow to move to the previous one. Shouldn't it have been more intuitive the other way around?
Seems logical to me scroll down (down arrow) scroll up (up arrow). If it was + / - I would agree with you, but with the arrows it seems right.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:44 PM

Black/Black E : Pewter/Black G Wagen
Originally Posted by KRob3
I just bought the 30GB iPod and am using the aux line from the glove box (which sucks by the way). How much did the iPod installation kit cost you?

I only am getting sound out of the left speakers!

Krob,Check the cable you got,You might have gotten a mono cable,get a stereo cable and should work fine.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:58 AM
ahm
Almost a Member!

CL500 (W216)
Originally Posted by KRob3
... How much did the iPod installation kit cost you? ...
317 euros (approximately $380 USD) including labor
Old 10-01-2005, 07:04 AM
ahm
Almost a Member!

CL500 (W216)
Originally Posted by mikefl52
Seems logical to me scroll down (down arrow) scroll up (up arrow). If it was + / - I would agree with you, but with the arrows it seems right.
I will try to adjust my mind to it, but in all devices that scroll forward or backwards, the (>>) key means forward (next song, next track) and the (<<) key means backward (previous song, track). In absence of << and >> keys, to move to the next song, my intuition tells me that the up key moves forward and the down key, backwards. Not an important issue, anyway, just an iPod peculiarity