Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Different DVD Navigation for different Models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Porsche Turbo Cabriolet
Different DVD Navigation for different Models

I have been using the command system in my SL and ML to locate Hotels and Restaurants whilst travelling in unfamiliar locations both in the UK and other parts of Europe. I have never been dissapointed with the selections given when I searched on the Disc's database.

Two weeks ago , we exchanged our 2004 ML for a new Model ML500 with DVD based COMAND. Great vehicle, but after a few days I discoved the Navigation differences. I searched for a Restaurant, and the list Produced gave Mc Donalds, Pizza Express, Burger King and Wimpy. Funny I thought, I will search for a Hotel and use their Restaurant. What did the list give... Travel Lodge, Premier Lodge and Travel Inn.All of the good locations had been replaced by Budget places to eat or stay.

The navigation discs from each system are not interchangeable, and one cannot buy a disc with the up-market information on that will work in the other system. Converesly, if you drive an SL and actually want a quick Burger, then the system will not locate a Mc Donalds.

I find it quite bizzare that Mercedes have different Navigation systems and operating data for different models of cars that they manufacture, and feel it is some missplaced Germanic logic based on their perception of what their customers want.

As far as I can make out, the Smart,A class,C class,CLK class and the new ML have the 'Cheap location' Data discs, and the E class, CLS class S class and SLs have the up market data.

Are any other owners somewhat annoyed that they have been given a system that only finds Cheap locations ?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM

I thought I would post these pics to show you what I am up against. The shots were both taken in the same location one is in the New ML and the other in our 2004 ML.

Where would you choose to eat ?

Old 10-14-2005, 08:27 PM

MBs
For comparison, a W163 in silicon valley

The restaurant menu has 50 submenus:

Selecting "British Isles" yields:

They have darts! And Guinness - on draught.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 10-14-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:13 AM

Thanks for posting that Pic. That gives the Ultimate number of options.

I think that Harman /Becker supply their head Units to other car manufacturers, so I think I will visit a couple of Dealers today and ask if I can try say an Auidi/VW disc in the head unit and see (A) if it works and (B) if it has better information on it !
Old 10-15-2005, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I have tried an audi disc and it does not work. I tried a MB disc on a audi and it did work after I modified it a bit so I am sure it can be done vice versa. But, the software should be the same.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
Originally Posted by Tony Musgrave
I thought I would post these pics to show you what I am up against. The shots were both taken in the same location one is in the New ML and the other in our 2004 ML.

Where would you choose to eat ?

go through your menus, could be an option somewhere... or just call MB and ask them... well i doubt callin would help, but try lookin through all the options...
Old 10-15-2005, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Disks

I have a C350 and finding a McD or a BK is not easy to do. But I can also find the upscale places too.

I don't know if it's model specific or maybe a version of the disk or preferences set into the Nav system.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tishers
I have a C350 and finding a McD or a BK is not easy to do. But I can also find the upscale places too.

I don't know if it's model specific or maybe a version of the disk or preferences set into the Nav system.
It seems like the Disc provided to owners in the USA has both McDs and Upscale places. That's fine even if it is not easy to use,

The European Disc only gives the McDs etc. This applies to the Navigation in A class,C class, CLK class and now the M class. To find an upscale Restaurant you need to buy one of Mercedes upscale Models such as the S class, the CLS class or a SL class or a Maybach.

The same Germanic logic applies if you are looking for a Hotel for the night in Europe.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:37 PM

MBs
It seems like the Disc provided to owners in the USA has both McDs and Upscale places. That's fine even if it is not easy to use..
The DVD NAV systems you are talking about are all different, and take different software:

Tisha 06 C350 4matic: MCS2
Tony 2004 SL55 COMAND APS: NTG-1
Tony 2006 ML500 Euro COMAND: NTG-2
US W163 M-Class 03-05: MCS

Just wait until the new W221 S-Class with DVD and harddisk (NTG-3) comes out. It will show just one restaurant worldwide or so I have heard. It's the MacDonalds across the street from Bill Gates house in Redmond.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:23 PM

2002 C230K Coupe & 2005 C230 SS
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
It will show just one restaurant worldwide or so I have heard. It's the MacDonalds across the street from Bill Gates house in Redmond.
I thought it might show the "Restaurant At The End Of The Universe"
Old 10-19-2005, 02:17 PM

My complaints about the Navigation system have continued over the past week and I have found more and more shortcomings with the system and the data. I am not alone with my complaints.

The good news is that I have found a guy that can solve all of the problems and actually provide exactly what I want.

An Alpine Navigation computer is to be fitted to output to the existing display screen, so no dashboard or Comand mods are needed. The new Alpine will come with a remote control unit. The choice is then there to use either Navigation system.

A TV tuner,DVD player,Rear headrest screens and headphones will be added. The whole lot will incorporate a switching unit, and fitting will be done in the Home garage.

If you look long enough, there is always somebody out there that can provide what you want.[]
Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 PM

MB UK have finally listened.

I recieived a call from my dealer today.......... MB are to develop a revised Navigation disc for Europe. This should be available before the end of the year and will incorpoate the same data that is on the CD rom systems.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:37 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by Tishers

Hey Tishers.. What version is the nav disk your running in your c350. In the new c230 we just picked up the nav disk is version 2004.1, for MY05 C/CLK. I find this very strange and outdated since its almost 2006. Im already up to 2005.3 in our CLS and have always gotten update disks for that system periodically since 2004.1/.2/.3/2005.1/.2/.3. Seems odd to me anyone who would have signed up for the nav update service last year just wouldnt have gotten anything in the last 1.5 years since these apparently are the same discs they shipped with the 2005 models.

fazooley
Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 PM

2013 w204 C350
MB UK have finally listened.

I recieived a call from my dealer today.......... MB are to develop a revised Navigation disc for Europe. This should be available before the end of the year and will incorpoate the same data that is on the CD rom systems.
Seems the US just came out also, i grabbed the 2005.1 disc for the C/CLK/ML/R classes today.

Fazooley
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
THe MCS2 system which is made my alpine uses a larger map database of about 6 gigs. The MCS2 is on the 2006 R and ML, and 2005 C and CLK. The other cars use a becker system which has a database of about 1gig. THe MCS2 system can also search locations with phone numbers.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:17 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by sunman
THe MCS2 system which is made my alpine uses a larger map database of about 6 gigs. The MCS2 is on the 2006 R and ML, and 2005 C and CLK. The other cars use a becker system which has a database of about 1gig. THe MCS2 system can also search locations with phone numbers.
The size of the disk was the first thing that came to my mind since I feel that the Nav is much more detailed and more locations on my cls than the C. Theres no way phone numbers warrant 7x the data, and considering all the missing streets on 2004.1 I wonder what the hell they had in there; lol. The sizes are as follow
E/CL/CLS/S - 2005.3 DVD - 1,107,648kb
C/CLK/ML/R - 2004.1 DVD - 6,085,312kb
C/CLK/ML/R - 2005.1 DVD - 7,066,044kb
Utilization of Dual Layer discs for these also is necessary, which is a royal pain in the *** since there like 10.00 bux a pop and make expensive coasters. Another interesting thing is the new 2005.1 disc is over a gig larger than the last, maybe some extra POI's.

Fazooley
Old 12-15-2007, 01:24 AM

2008 c350 saks 5th ave
i just got the saks 5th ave i love it . and now i have the video in motion working thanks to www.mbdoctor.com. i bought and adapter there its plug and play.it unlockes tv,video,dvd and aux he is the only one who sell the adapter to bypass the system so it doesn't shut of when i drive .i paid 350 and installed it myself .its the only way to make it work ..watch the video and enjoy your car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcw4U7Kwk84