Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sirus question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirus question

Hello
Does anyone know if a Sirus decoder would operate in the UK??

Many Thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Get Sirius

No it won't. The Sirius satellites are shut down on their passes over the rest of the world.

They move position constantly and as they come up the horizon over the states they are reactivated and they take up the workload. Once they pass down the horizon they are deactivated until they come around the world again. This happens three times a day as the satellites move in an orbit.

There is at least one, and usually two Sirius satellites in constant visibility of the states. Their antennas are very directional with high gain to give the most signal in their coverage areas.

I think places like Mexico and Canada can get fringe reception but I doubt it would extend across the atlantic.

There are also issues involving licensing with international coordination. For Sirius or XM to be licensed by the FCC they also had to have the consent of Mexico and Canada to not create "harmful interference".

It would't be impossible for Sirius to have different services on their three satellites when they are over other parts of the world. It would need to be compatable with their transmitters and some sort of international (EU) licensing would need to be worked out. I would suspect that this would be more of a political issue over a US launched and managed satellite fleet providing what amounts to an exclusive contract for those frequencies.

I also do not know if the satellites have a limited amount of power reserves to operate for longer periods of time. The satellites are solar and I suspect that the idle time for the satellites may also be taken up with charging the batteries (when the sun it on the satellite).