Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Question About New E Class Color Matched Small Sirius Antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Question About New E Class Color Matched Small Sirius Antenna

My car has the original Microsoft Mouse sized Black Sirius antenna drilled thru the trunk lid. My questions are this:

1. Is the new smaller color matched Sirius antenna drill mounted also or is it "Peel and Stick".

2. If I use this new antenna, can I utilize the same hole or do I have to make more holes? Outside of possible paint fade around the old larger antenna, is there any reason I shouldn't change it?

3. Why does this new antenna require the use of a "splitter" where the old on didn not?

4. I've been told its "plug & play", will the trunk still be watertight with the smaller antenna?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was driving behind a "M plate" E series yesterday and this car had 4 antenna's mounted on it. One was the bigger black "mouse sized" that you have and 3 of them were failrly small black 'pucks'. Quite a bit smaller than the normal antenna.
I could not tell how they were mounted as I wasn't able to get out and go look (we were sitting at a stop light). They were mounted at various places across the decklid. Probably doing some kind of Sirius testing. I didn't notice anything else special about this car.
Oh.. a M plate car is a test vehicle here in Michigan with a manufactuers plate on it. Normally see tons of Ford, GM or Chryslers.. not too many MB's though.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe & 2005 C230 SS
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
My car has the original Microsoft Mouse sized Black Sirius antenna drilled thru the trunk lid. My questions are this:

1. Is the new smaller color matched Sirius antenna drill mounted also or is it "Peel and Stick".

2. If I use this new antenna, can I utilize the same hole or do I have to make more holes? Outside of possible paint fade around the old larger antenna, is there any reason I shouldn't change it?

3. Why does this new antenna require the use of a "splitter" where the old on didn not?

4. I've been told its "plug & play", will the trunk still be watertight with the smaller antenna?
If you have black or silver it is color matched. For the other you need to get it painted.
It is still drilled.
If you have color fade, eventually the area around the antenna will eventually fade. I would hope that modern paints are much less prone to fading.
I have no problems with water tightness.
For the details I would talk to your dealership, but maybe do it yourself since they will probably charge a lot for the labor.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The Sirius receiver has two inputs, one for satellite antenna, the other for terestial antenna. The large antenna had two cables from the two antennas inside. The new antenna has only a single cable from the two antennas inside. That is why you need a splitter with the new antenna.