Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Build or replace stock nav on '02 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 CLK55 ///AMG '05 Raven R1
Build or replace stock nav on '02 CLK55

I recently picked up a '02 CLK55 and want better sound. I've got some quality componants out of my old car that I'd like to use. Here is the list:
Infinity 6.5 kappa perfect componants. JLaudio 300/2. JLaudio 300/4. Two Infinity kappa 10" dual voice coil woofers. And a Alpine cda-9815 cd/mp3 head unit.

Here's the question:
Can I add the componants minus the head unit to the existing nav-sys on my CLK. Or, do I have to replace the whole thing?
I guess what I really need to know is if the nav unit has any rca outputs that I can run to the amps? If that's the case it would be all too easy!

Any help appreciated.
T.I.A.
Davis
Old 01-15-2006, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
i dont think the alpine head unit would work with this combo while keeping the stock head unit for the nav. on the other hand i dont see why you can't change your components and have two amps and still have the nav.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by white_w203
i dont think the alpine head unit would work with this combo while keeping the stock head unit for the nav. on the other hand i dont see why you can't change your components and have two amps and still have the nav.
Yeah I'm wanting to ditch the Alpine head unit and keep the nav but, I still need to know if the nav unit has any rca (low level) outputs.
Anyone know the answer?

Davis
Old 01-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 C32, 1999 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by wfoclk55
Yeah I'm wanting to ditch the Alpine head unit and keep the nav but, I still need to know if the nav unit has any rca (low level) outputs.
Anyone know the answer?

Davis
If it's COMAND it has fiberoptic connections that won't work with your amps unless you use an adapter.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stack_Hardhouse
If it's COMAND it has fiberoptic connections that won't work with your amps unless you use an adapter.
Yeah Stack, it's COMAND. It's the original version I think, car model year is 2002. It came with a 230 (something) page book. I've read every page and it only talks about useage and programming. It doesn't give a version # or a model #. It definityl gives no view of the unit out of the dash.

I'm sure it is the Mercedes COMAND unit. Given that: where would I find one of these mystic adapters, Any clue?

Thanks for the help,
Davis
Old 01-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 350
You have a D2B Command HU and it has speaker level output. Likely best is to use a level compensator and feed that into your amp. The speaker output is a standard ISO type connector, "B" in the diagram.
Attached Thumbnails Build or replace stock nav on '02 CLK55-d2bpinout.gif  

Last edited by CalifSLK; 01-16-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by CalifSLK
You have a D2B Command HU and it has speaker level output. Likely best is to use a level compensator and feed that into your amp. The speaker output is a standard ISO type connector, "B" in the diagram.
That is begining to sound like the only way that it can be done. The amps have built in crossovers but, I've always heard that high level (speaker outputs) are not the way to go. I assume that it would increase the distortion. And the whole reason I want to do it is to get better sound.

Maybe I'll try going to some of the highend car stereo places to see if they have a solution. I'd really like to keep the stock nav unit and just upgrade everything else.
More research...!

Anyway here is a pic of the nav sys in my car. It does look to be the D2B system and definitly not the MOST system used on the newer cars.
Attached Thumbnails Build or replace stock nav on '02 CLK55-obey.jpg