Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How to use cassette adaptor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E 2.5; 2001 SL500
How to use cassette adaptor

I have an Archos unit (mp3 player and more), Id like to use via a cassette adaptor, however the door for the cassette player (2001 Sl500), is annoying as it beeps when door is opened for a long period of time. Anyone have any solutions for this? I have tried the FM transmitter route, however the sound is not as crisp.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 CLK 350 Cab
Cassette Door

I was successful by using a cassette adapter with a thin wire. I then squeezed the wire in the crevice of the door and closed it tight. It generally will stay closed for weeks at a time. To really do it right, use a warm to medium hot iron and slightly melt the wire flat (only in the spot where it will stick thru the door). You could also use a soldering iron. You also might want to have an extra adapter as a backup. I found the sound to be very good.
Good luck
Old 02-03-2006, 07:45 AM

'01 SLK320
If you can find an adapter with a ribbon-type wire, rather than a round-type wire, it will be easier to fit between the door and body of the head unit. I've had mine in for months without the door popping open. I believe it's a phillips brand purchased on eBay for about $5.00.

BTW, the benz forum has a great thread on permanent installation of a cassette adapter (with pix). Pull the radio, insert the adpter, thread the wire, through the console. etc. The thread is in the R170 forum.

Glenn
Old 02-03-2006, 01:57 PM

2000 E320 4Matic Obsidian Black/Ash
On my E320 without command the door beeps every few seconds if you leave the door open.

I found on the right hand side there is a sensor. The door has a pin on it that hits the sensor when closed.

I took a tiny piece of carboard and pushed it into the hole. Now, I can close the door or leave it open and nothing beeps... Classy isn't it?