Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

MB Bluetooth is finally here in US and available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by carpersn
Firstly, they've got a new model to support. Secondly, they've got a bluetooth solution that is late to market, but integrates the items that have kept them from that market (the glass used, etc. etc.) and they seem to have developed (or had developed) a really useable solution. The REAL KICKER and the reason I have to back MBUSA is that for the first time EVER, and this is truly big to MOST of us on this forum, they are going to offer a RETROFITTABLE SOLUTION, back to MY2000. THat is huge. So, kudos to them, and while i assure all of you i have been waiting for bluetooth for as long as anyone, I have to be glad that when it does arrive, it will not only work in my new GL, but it will be applicable to my 2000 Startac'd wagon, as well as my 04 E320. THAT is pretty cool.
I can't disagree with this... but the one thing I continue to ding them on is this mindless chant that you must have one of their 12 certified devices or pay them for one. It's bluetooth, guys! Yes, we're big boys and girls... we understand that Bluetooth doesn't guarantee 100% compatibility... but we can use your list as a guide and try out our own if we like. And, on the off chance, we feel like buying one of the certified devices we'll do it without paying full retail (plus overhead) thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 C230 SS Black on Black
I read thru all of the posts and don't understand much of the tech talk, but maybe someone can clarify for me a couple of things. I have an '06 C230, it has the phone buttons but was not equipted with anything else. If I push one of the buttons it says 'No Phone' on the dash.
That being said, what parts are needed to hook to the RAZR phone by Motorola?

UHI kit?
Dongle?
both?
More then that?

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Old 02-13-2006, 02:26 AM

bump for an answer to the 06 C230 question as that is my situation as well!
Old 02-13-2006, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by taroliw
I can't disagree with this... but the one thing I continue to ding them on is this mindless chant that you must have one of their 12 certified devices or pay them for one. It's bluetooth, guys! Yes, we're big boys and girls... we understand that Bluetooth doesn't guarantee 100% compatibility... but we can use your list as a guide and try out our own if we like. And, on the off chance, we feel like buying one of the certified devices we'll do it without paying full retail (plus overhead) thanks.

The phone is conforming to which standard ? Unfortunately there is no universal agreement on what a phonebook is and how to talk to it. All phones must be profiled and scripted into the interface functions.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 AM

A MHI interface is what is carried by dealers and for which you must use a limited number of Mercedes phones, ie. they have their own software, and it stands for Multiple Handset Interface. The UHI interface is called a European kit and it is a Universal Handset Interface, meaning it will work with a limited number of phones, but they are off the shelf and not specially branded. My SE T610 or 630 works fine for example. In the US the only place I know to get it is from Steve K. in the Netherlands at his site MBenzNL.com. Follow up there for more information. As far as I know, neither the MHI or UHI support a RAZR at this time. With both kits you install a phone cradle in your armrest (this is part of the kit) which is for your particular phone, and then you put your phone into the system to make the connection. I have the UHI and it works fine. What all this talk is about, is that there is a bluetooth cradle that is being distributed through AWS and if it is used then your phone stays in your pocket, etc. and connects via bluetooth. The cradle acts as a bluetooth dongle to receive the signal fromm the phone and connects. That's about it. Simple in some respects, but the problem is the availability and applicability of the bluetooth dongle. Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 C230 SS Black on Black
Thank you wsscott, very helpful! Do you know if the 'dongle kit' is a standalone item that will do the trick, or is it necessary to have either the MHI or UHI kit as well?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-13-2006, 12:08 PM

The "dongle" is the cradle that is being supplied by AWS and hasn't been released yet and will only be available initially for the new S class MB's. In addition to that you have to have the MHI kit installed. I would think it would also work if you have a UHI kit, but I don't know for sure.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:59 PM

Thumbs up

Has anyone tried the Argos kit listed here:

http://www.eiskits.com/argoslaunch4.html

Looks like its 100% seamless and is pretty easy to install. For $850 it's not a bad deal considering what many may have to go through to get bluetooth working.

The kicker for me on this is that it seems to integrate fully with COMAND.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by iboj007
Has anyone tried the Argos kit listed here:

http://www.eiskits.com/argoslaunch4.html

Looks like its 100% seamless and is pretty easy to install. For $850 it's not a bad deal considering what many may have to go through to get bluetooth working.

The kicker for me on this is that it seems to integrate fully with COMAND.
Be careful...

Check out this site for info. on Argos: http://www.bluecarkit.com/forum/index.php

To me, it looks like their system is in beta, at best--maybe still in alpha development. It looks/sounds hit-and-mis at best. They offered me a system for $580 if I would help them "test it out." My MB dealer said they would install it for me too, but I have a feeling it is still in early development.

If you get one, please keep us informed of your experiences w/ it, because a lot of us would really love to have a real Bluetooth solution retrofitted in our cars.

Besides, MB claims to have a Bluetooth "solution coming soon." But I won't hold my breath until that day arrives.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Mik

If MBUSA wants to use the "Bluetooth" name and symbol, they have to get it certified at http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/ . There are strict tests for interoperability as well as certain requirements for supported functionality. I would think that if they only support a dozen phones, it would not qualify.
I am curious to see how MB will be trying to rip of their loyal customers next.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
I hope Mercedes isn't going to say" Your phone required Mercedes Benz proprietary software in order for the bluetooth phone to work" Because this would mean paying for overpriced Mercedes branded phone again.

John
Old 02-14-2006, 12:05 PM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
Phones dont need to be proprietary afterall

I just called AWS to check my phone compatibility.

I have the Cingular version of the RAZR and I have the following soft ware version: R374_G_0E.40.57R
I found this by typing "*#9999#" and it came up.
He said Im good to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Couple more weeks and the Bluetooth for my 2003 SL500 will be available.

So this confirms that I dont need a proprietary MB phone afterall.

PAUL

Edited to correct the code...sorry.

Last edited by prsmith777; 02-14-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:38 PM

CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
Big bucks for bluetooth...OUCH!!!

Bluetooth would be great, but if you don't already have the integrated phone system watch out. Here is an email from AWS:

Thank you for contacting Auto Wireless Solutions (AWS) with your questions. In order activate phone service in your vehicle; you will need to have the dealership install the integrated hands free system. AWS can provide you with the MHI Bluetooth Adaptor. The Motorola V60 phone is not currently a Mercedes approved Bluetooth phone.

Mercedes has approved certain phones with each carrier. Mercedes also requires the phones to have a specific software level. AWS can provide the following phone with the specific software level and activate on T-Mobile:

MOTOROLA v3 RAZOR (silver) $349

There are three other phones approved for T-Mobile which you would have to get from the cellular provider then contact AWS to see if it has the required software:

MOTOROLA u6 ROKR

MOTOROLA v330

BLACKBERRY 7290

If AWS provides you with the phone at $349, the MHI Adaptor will be $350. If you get an approved phone from the cellular provider with the correct software level, the adaptor will be $474.

I contacted my MB service dept and they told me it would cost $2000.00 to have an integrated phone system installed.

that means: $700 for the phone and bluetooth adapter plus $2000 for the system......OUCH!
Old 02-15-2006, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
Bluetooth would be great, but if you don't already have the integrated phone system watch out. Here is an email from AWS:

Thank you for contacting Auto Wireless Solutions (AWS) with your questions. In order activate phone service in your vehicle; you will need to have the dealership install the integrated hands free system. AWS can provide you with the MHI Bluetooth Adaptor. The Motorola V60 phone is not currently a Mercedes approved Bluetooth phone.

Mercedes has approved certain phones with each carrier. Mercedes also requires the phones to have a specific software level. AWS can provide the following phone with the specific software level and activate on T-Mobile:

MOTOROLA v3 RAZOR (silver) $349

There are three other phones approved for T-Mobile which you would have to get from the cellular provider then contact AWS to see if it has the required software:

MOTOROLA u6 ROKR

MOTOROLA v330

BLACKBERRY 7290

If AWS provides you with the phone at $349, the MHI Adaptor will be $350. If you get an approved phone from the cellular provider with the correct software level, the adaptor will be $474.

I contacted my MB service dept and they told me it would cost $2000.00 to have an integrated phone system installed.

that means: $700 for the phone and bluetooth adapter plus $2000 for the system......OUCH!
Do you mean that your CLS & SL came w/out a phone installed? I thought they came equiped these days. I remember I had to pay an additional $2,400 for the phone and related equipment when I bought my 2000 S.

Re. Bluetooth: I'm still not sure I understand why you need to buy a new cradle for the RAZR. Why can't you just leave it in your pocket and have it connect wirelessly? After all, isn't that what Bluetooth is all about?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Do you mean that your CLS & SL came w/out a phone installed? I thought they came equiped these days. I remember I had to pay an additional $2,400 for the phone and related equipment when I bought my 2000 S.
I wish it were free! $1450 from the factory w/o phone.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
I wish it were free! $1450 from the factory w/o phone.
Bummmmer! What did you get for the $1,450?
Old 02-16-2006, 06:05 PM

Bummmmer! What did you get for the $1,450?
I did'nt get the option, thought it was too expensive.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:17 PM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
AWS website updated

There's more info on the AWS website now...

Main page

page comparing different phone features

manual

quick guide

Paul
Old 02-17-2006, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by prsmith777
There's more info on the AWS website now...

Main page

page comparing different phone features

manual

quick guide

Paul
This is all well and good, but my car has a Cingular Startac cradel, w/ coiled cable USB connector--NOT the V60 Cradle that adapter is designed for. So my question still is: Is there an "Adapter" for my car??

Last edited by Jayhawk; 02-17-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Almost a Member!

To me, it looks like their system is in beta, at best--maybe still in alpha development. It looks/sounds hit-and-mis at best. They offered me a system for $580 if I would help them "test it out." My MB dealer said they would install it for me too, but I have a feeling it is still in early development.

If you get one, please keep us informed of your experiences w/ it, because a lot of us would really love to have a real Bluetooth solution retrofitted in our cars.
I just installed the Argos in my '00 CLK and have been very pleased with it. Mine came with the v2 update and so far it's worked as advertised. The sound quality has been great, the people on the other end say they can't tell that I'm using Bluetooth. I haven't experienced any dropped calls yet. The only thing that's missing is the ablility to download phonebooks, which they say is coming soon. My car is equipped with the Voice Control Module and European Comand and my phone is a Sony Ericsson k750i, they all seem to play well together. The one thing that I wish the system would do, though, is to display the phone info in the instrument cluster automatically when receiving a call. What I have to now is to manually switch if it's in Radio or CD mode. This might not have anything to do with the Argos and be more of a M-B thing. Does anybody know? I'll do an update after using it for another week or so and let you know how it's working.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:28 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by The Kingfish
The one thing that I wish the system would do, though, is to display the phone info in the instrument cluster automatically when receiving a call. What I have to now is to manually switch if it's in Radio or CD mode. This might not have anything to do with the Argos and be more of a M-B thing. Does anybody know?
As far as I know, that is a M-B thing. I have a MBenzNL-supplied European M-B UHI interface installed in my US SL500, and it will display callerid info in the multi-function instrument cluster, but only if I have the display in phone mode.

I agree, it would be better to allow you to have the display on something meaningful while driving (instead of displaying the cell carrier's name) and switch to callerid display on an incoming call.

Last edited by ToonArmy; 02-18-2006 at 02:31 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 02-19-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Digital Startac Can Be Bluetoothed...

As long as the Startac is digital, i have been told by AWS that the 00-01 models with Startac cradles actually DO NOT need the V60 cradle. We'll see though...i'm certainly ready.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by taroliw
MHI on the other hand is supposed to support the Headset and Obex profiles only. The lowest common denominator -- based on a few owner reports, esp on Benzworld -- seems to be headset. Obex isn't always working, but it's not clear why. In my case, Obex would be nice, but headset is crucial... and that seems to work with at least two Treo650's I've heard of.
Verizon users, beware!! Verizon disables the OBEX (Object Exchange) profile on its phones!! Means the phone book will not be downloaded. Essentially, your Bluetooth turns the car into nothing more than a big headset.

The AWS features listings (thanks, Jayhawk and prsmith777) shows feature sets for the Motorola Razr V3 and V710 that indicate phone book download - this may be true for non-Verizon models, but not likely the Verizon V3c (CDMA) Razr or a NON-MB Verizon V710.

Since I use Verizon because of better coverage in my area (especially in Metro tunnels), I am leaving an MB/Verizon V710 plugged into the MHI in my car, and "no-answer" call forwarding to a Razr V3c that I carry. It works well. I have the ability to answer the V710 when in the car, together with all of the phone features COMAND provides with the MHI plug-in; and since I was always forgetting to take the V710 with me (and my car is parked a long way from our unit), I have the Razr. With a family plan already in place, the extra line charge is $10 per month for service, plus the purchase price of the phones - which runs more than a BT kit.

There is no confusion as to which number to reach me on, because I give out only the V710 number - all calls go there first, and are forwarded to the Razr's number if I don't answer.

It won't be the ideal solution for everyone, but it is worth considering particularly if you use Verizon, or if your coverage isn't very good using just your phone's antenna - or if you want all of the features that COMAND offers with a plug-in phone.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-20-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 PM
RJI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past week I replaced the factory Timeport Motorola system in my 2001 E55 with a standard Verizon Motorola E815 model phone. I got the MikBox and appropriate cradle from Mik. My car also has the factory Command system. All features appear to work the same with the MikBox, including the down loading of my phone book that is entered into the Motorola E815. Could it be the Bluetooth system causing the phone book not to work rather than Verizon?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by carpersn
As long as the Startac is digital, i have been told by AWS that the 00-01 models with Startac cradles actually DO NOT need the V60 cradle. We'll see though...i'm certainly ready.
Thanks! I just talked to an AWS agent and she told me the same thing. Further, she said they would be available no later than the end of March (I assume this year...). But as you said, we will see.

Hopefully it will work w/ Cingular GSM RAZR Bluetooth, and I will not have to do a Skylaw solution.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 02-20-2006 at 12:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB Bluetooth is finally here in US and available