Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

COMAND Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:50 AM
vwh
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COMAND Question

I have read probably all of the thread in this forum about COMAND system, and I'm getting confused.

I have W203 MY2002, Australian version (probably similar to European). Currently, it has Audio 10 CD installed.

My question is, if I install COMAND, what options and features do I have available, using only MB original parts? (i.e. no mikbox, no other after market addition).
I am aware that there are 2 version of COMAND, CD-based and DVD-based. Which one is fully compatible with my car?
What are the difference between those 2 version?
One can have TV tuner while the other can't?
Which one can play DVD/MP3/Multimedia?
Which one has Aux input for my portable audio player?
Which one has/can have A/V input for external media (such as PS2)?

As you can see, I am getting confused here since there seems to be so many options available for this car.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Your Australian C-class is similar to the Euro spec W203.

My question is, if I install COMAND, what options and features do I have available, using only MB original parts? (i.e. no mikbox, no other after market addition).
-----> Your main advantage is, that you will have navigation. Obviously... It will fully integrate with your steering wheel controls and with your car's audio system.

I am aware that there are 2 version of COMAND, CD-based and DVD-based. Which one is fully compatible with my car?
-----> CD-rom based comand.

What are the difference between those 2 version?
-----> Here are two links - please read through them:
http://www.mbenznl.com/products/comand.shtml (CD-based comand)

http://www.mbenznl.com/products/w203comand.shtml

One can have TV tuner while the other can't?
-----> Both comands can get a TV tuner connected. As for DVD comands, please keep in mind, that you can ONLY connect a TV tuner to a Euro spec DVD comand (not to a US spec MCS II unit).

The DVD comand can't get TV while in motion by just versioncoding it - but this is not something you have to worry about since you will be needing the CD comand.

Which one can play DVD/MP3/Multimedia?
-----> Neither one. With the CD comand you can get an additional auxiliary input which can be used to hook up any external audio device (MP3 player or iPod, cassette player etc). NOT integrated, though. Or you can try and see if you can get a Dension iPod kit...

The W203s with MOST wiring (2005+ models) can get an MP3 CD changer installed. Or one can hook up an iPod to the existing AUX input. Or one can replace the AUX for an integrated iPod kit.

Which one has Aux input for my portable audio player?
-----> The 2005+ W203s usually come with AUX from factory (even the ones without comand). The pre 2005 models can get AUX in combination with comand... although I know that people tried to get AUX in combination with their Audio 10 CD as well.

-----> Both, if I am not mistaking. But the video adapters are aftermarket, and usually picture and sound quality aren't as good compared to the original MB TV tuner...

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 02-22-2006, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by BigSis
-----> Both, if I am not mistaking. But the video adapters are aftermarket, and usually picture and sound quality aren't as good compared to the original MB TV tuner...

greetingz,

BigSis
Everything you stated is 100% correct. There is no aftermarket video AUX for the 2005 DVD COMAND yet. By the end of the year that will change though. Slowly but surely aftermarket is catching up with 2005 cars. But that doesnt affect this car owner as you pointed out.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:52 AM
vwh
Almost a Member!

Wow...thanks very much for the immediate reply.

So, I can only use the CD-based COMAND.

If that is the case, is there any way for the CD-based COMAND to play DVD movie using only MB OEM parts? Probably as simple as purchasing MB DVD-changer and plug it in the pre-wired cd-changer cable? (wishful thinking?!)

Or I still need the TV tuner AND the DVD-changer?

Or is it simply not possible using only MB parts?

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by vwh
Wow...thanks very much for the immediate reply.

So, I can only use the CD-based COMAND.

If that is the case, is there any way for the CD-based COMAND to play DVD movie using only MB OEM parts? Probably as simple as purchasing MB DVD-changer and plug it in the pre-wired cd-changer cable? (wishful thinking?!)

Or I still need the TV tuner AND the DVD-changer?

Or is it simply not possible using only MB parts?

Thanks.
Most people now use DIVX player (100Gb) with dozens of movies loaded and use the TV tuner AUX input.

Everything except the DIVX player is Mercedes. Using the non-Mercedes TV emulator gives ordinary results at this time.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:00 AM
vwh
Almost a Member!

So, if I want to install COMAND system, what parts do I need besides the COMAND unit itself?

Also, if I add MB TV tuner on that, which part that needs to be changed / upgraded / added for the TV to works? I have read Steve's website that says the antenna amplifier would be different?!
Also, is the MB TV tuner an analog or digital one? which one can be fitted to my car? Where would the tuner location be if fitted?

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
So, if I want to install COMAND system, what parts do I need besides the COMAND unit itself?
-----> GPS antenna, screws, C-connector... but if you decide to take a kit from Steve MBenzNL, it will all be included. Except for the navigation disc.

Also, if I add MB TV tuner on that, which part that needs to be changed / upgraded / added for the TV to works? I have read Steve's website that says the antenna amplifier would be different?!
-----> We don't have D2B TV tuners left in stock anymore. But Steve added an aftermarket TV antenna with the TV tuner kits in the past: reception is similar compared to MB's TV antenna, but it's less expensive.

When retrofitting a TV tuner, you will need a wiring loom (from tuner to comand), a TV tuner bracket, and the antenna... In order to run the wiring loom to the back of your car all the way to the front, you have to remove part of the interior.

Also, is the MB TV tuner an analog or digital one? which one can be fitted to my car? Where would the tuner location be if fitted?
-----> Analogue, BUT it has two sets of RCA plugs which can be used to connect a DVD player to, a Playstation... or even a digital TV tuner. The TV tuner will be mounted on the left side of your trunk, behind the trunkliner.

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 02-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by vwh

Thanks again for the reply.
This has nothing to do with Australia, but people here in the States need to keep in mind that all analog NTSC TV tuners will no longer work after 2/17/09. So if you're planning on adding a tuner to your system it will not work in three years, you'll need a digital ATSC tuner.

Last edited by The Kingfish; 02-25-2006 at 12:35 AM.