Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Ipod options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E-350 4matic
Ipod options

What are my Ipod options? Id like to get a direct connect to my factory radio. I tired those FM tranmitters and they suck. The cassette thing just isnt even an option. Whats out there? I did a search but nothing really comes up informative. Who has a good set up with their Ipod? Thanks in advance.AA..
Old 04-16-2006, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
What year is your iPod, get the factory iPod kit?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by DoubleA
What are my Ipod options? Id like to get a direct connect to my factory radio. I tired those FM tranmitters and they suck. The cassette thing just isnt even an option. Whats out there? I did a search but nothing really comes up informative. Who has a good set up with their Ipod? Thanks in advance.AA..
It's hard to believe you searched much - there is a ton of information and discussion posted on iPod integration on these forums.

You don't say what year your E320 is - a lot depends on whether it has a D2B or a MOST fiber optic bus, or is an older car yet.

Mercedes markets an iPod integration kit for some very recent cars. See
https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/125753-ipod-question.html and
http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pic...00572153PM.JPG

Dension/DICE electronics markets the Ice>Link, which can be hard-wired into cars with no fiber optic bus. They market the Ice>Link Plus, which can be used with the D2B data bus; and they will soon (they say) begin shipping the DICE iPod kit for the MOST bus. See http://www.densionusa.com/

Monster Cable markets the iCruze at http://www.monstercable.com/icruze/

Harman Kardon markets the Drive & Play; see the review at http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2006/...play/index.php -I'm having trouble getting into the HK website right now so I leave that to you.

All of these devices have been mentioned, with links, on this forum before.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:20 PM

2013 E-350 4matic
Thanks for the info. I missed this info, maybe I didnt search hard enough excuse me. But again, Thank you... I want to be able to use the Ipod with the controls on the streeing wheel. My car is a 2001 E320.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
D2B Ipod integration

So far, I find all available iPod options quite underwhelming...

This is especially the case with D2B-based Mercedes. The best option that I have seen (and is just coming to market) is the German iPod integration system by Dietz. It gives you at least the same features as the Mercedes Integration kit (using steering wheel controls and instrument cluster), doesn't require a comand unit, charges the iPod and can be used with any 3rd party stereo with an AUX input. Best yet, it has an acceptable pricepoint

Should be available latest by May and I will try one as soon as I get one. Dietz has a good reputation for their other products.

Here is a link with some info: http://www.car-news.info/press/dietz...58&markeid=179

Hope this helps!

Wolfman
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Why is the cassette thing not an option? I've used it in several of my MB's with excellent result. Much better that the AUX inputs in the later cars. If you run the adapter wire from inside the console out the front and into the radio it's barely visible. I've posted some pictures of my installs on several of the boards. Try and locate them and give it a thought.
Glenn
Old 04-17-2006, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
i have no audio cassette player, as i have the Audio 10 head unit. so that,
along with D2B interface, make it problematic. i've been reading up on the
various offerings and so far, they've all had glitches, or high price etc. many
are relatively new and still awaiting bug fixes. so i just check back periodically
to see what's new.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Wolfman
So far, I find all available iPod options quite underwhelming...

This is especially the case with D2B-based Mercedes. The best option that I have seen (and is just coming to market) is the German iPod integration system by Dietz. It gives you at least the same features as the Mercedes Integration kit (using steering wheel controls and instrument cluster), doesn't require a comand unit, charges the iPod and can be used with any 3rd party stereo with an AUX input. Best yet, it has an acceptable pricepoint

Wolfman
If my car had an Aux input but couldn't accept the MB/Apple integration, I think I'd go with this one too, Wolfman. Having the ID Tag 3 info available is much better than what you get with the Ice>Link, and doesn't require garbaging up the car with an extra screen the way the Harman Kardon unit does. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-17-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:59 PM

2004 C240 Sedan
Interesting that this device is coming. I had a Dension IceLink Plus installed in my car, and it came out within about two weeks. All sorts of problems (as I've posted in other parts of the forum), but when it worked, it worked well.

So, now the decision is to go with the Alpine CDA-9857, which gets me in-dash MP3 CD capabilities, plus the iPod, or wait for this. Decisions, decisions...

-- Joe
Old 04-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Unlike Denisson, Dietz in Germany is a longtime player in automotive electronics is very familiar with fiber-optic systems like the D2B so I don't expect a lot of integration hick-ups.

It was already tested in a German car audio mag. which said it's the best thing out there.

Wolfman
Old 04-21-2006, 03:30 AM

1998 SL 600 ///AMG. 1997 SL 320. 1999 SLK 230K. 2001 BMW R850.
I use an Alpine setup, absolutely superb integration. Superb sound quality, all ID3 Tag info even Sat Nav all in a single DIN. I also replaced the Bose speakers with Alpine composites and installed a V12 amp powering a 10" sub.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:30 PM
BBH

2010 CL63 (was 2003 CL55)
iPod FM solution...

Before you totally give up on the simplicity of an FM iPod solution, consider this...

I have found that the problem with the FM method is that as the battery in the iPod gets weaker, the "punchthrough" to the FM radio does as well. The simple solution is a combo FM Transmitter/charger that connects through the dock connector, giving you the better "line level" output in the package as well.

Numerous manufacturers sell these, some with one FM frequency (typically 87.9) and some with full dialing capabilities. Add an RF remote and you are nicely in business.

No, it's not as nice as having the playlists, etc. on the dashboard and being controlled from the steering wheel, but for about $50 to $100, it sure is acceptable.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BBH
Before you totally give up on the simplicity of an FM iPod solution, consider this...

I have found that the problem with the FM method is that as the battery in the iPod gets weaker, the "punchthrough" to the FM radio does as well. The simple solution is a combo FM Transmitter/charger that connects through the dock connector, giving you the better "line level" output in the package as well.

Numerous manufacturers sell these, some with one FM frequency (typically 87.9) and some with full dialing capabilities. Add an RF remote and you are nicely in business.

No, it's not as nice as having the playlists, etc. on the dashboard and being controlled from the steering wheel, but for about $50 to $100, it sure is acceptable.
That solution is truly dependent on where you live and how tightly packed the FM band is. I found this working better on long-distance trips; in the city it worked so poorly that it simply was offensive to my ears. When I am in traffic I have no time to play around with controls.

For me, the integration is the best solution because of sound quality, usability and ultimately safety (using the instrument cluster/steering wheel controls).

Wolfman
Old 04-21-2006, 07:07 PM

2004 C240 Sedan
Originally Posted by Wolfman
That solution is truly dependent on where you live and how tightly packed the FM band is. I found this working better on long-distance trips; in the city it worked so poorly that it simply was offensive to my ears. When I am in traffic I have no time to play around with controls.

Wolfman
I actually had the opposite experience, but that was what drove me to look for some sort of iPod integration in the first place. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, the airwaves are packed, although I was able to find a few stations that I programmed into my FM transmitter. But, that didn't help a whole lot when I went down to the Mojave Desert and Los Angeles for a weekend road trip/air show/amusement park.

The other thing is that you want something that is convenient to control. I put my music in playlists, but sometimes you just don't want to hear a particular song, and it's sometimes hard to accomodate for that in advance. With my FM transmitter setup, I put my iPod in the pocket underneath the radio, so I could at least reach it, but that wasn't optimal.

I just got an Alpine CDA-9857 put in today, and although I haven't used it much yet, I'm liking it. I lose the steering wheel controls, but I can live without that. It has nice searching features, an in-dash MP3/WMA/CD player and sounds pretty good with the stock amp/speakers.

-- Joe
Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
How do I know what my car has???
I have a 2003 W209 CLK55

does it have D2B???

Is there a kit available for me??
I don't have command....just the standard radio. I don';t think I have an Aux input.

I will try to search some more
Thanks
Stiggs
Old 05-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Dietz IPOD integration unit

Is there more information about the Dietz unit? It looks intriguing, but information (such as models supported, installation, availability, etc.) is sketchy? Does Dietz have any US dealers?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 AM
ON PROBATION

I install alot of the Harmon/Kardon Drive+plays

In all of the ipod interfaces I have seen if you are willing to install something with a display it works,and works well. It is by far the most user friendly. The control is setup to operate just like the controls on your IPOD. I have used it w/ soundgates Aux input adapter and it is a great combonation. If we use the FM mod we only use the hardwired adapter never the internal wireless unit