Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Burning Audio DVD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burning Audio DVD

Does anyone know the options I need to burn an audio MP3 DVD so that it will play in an SL550? I burned an MP3 CD and it worked ok (although it didn't decode the ID3 tags). I thought I could just burn a DVD in the same manner and it would work, but it states "unknown format". There are many options to burning a DVD and I am wondering if there's some combination that I need to get correct for it to work properly. I can read the music off the DVD on a computer system, so it at least burnt the DVD properly for the formats I selected.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 PM

Thumbs up Mp3 Dvd

I did figure out how to make this work and thought I'd pass on the info. It's simply a matter of burning the DVD in UDF format instead of ISO9660. Once I did that, all 4.4GB of music formatted in multiple levels of folders works like a champ.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
What Software

What Software are you using to burn the DVD's?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 AM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
which udf format? they range from 1.0 to 2.01. Let us know please....I tried all the options but couldn't get it to work as well.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:58 AM

Mp3 Dvd

I use K3B, which is part of most all standard Linux distros. All you have to do is select "generate UDF extensions" on the Burn Data DVD options tab. I took a quick look at K3B, but it doesn't specifically state which version of UDF its using (I suppose you could dig around the K3B project in sourceforge.net to find out the details). When I get a little time, I'll see if I can find the details about UDF version, but I suspect its more an issue of the software burning the extenions properly vs. the actual version of the extensions.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jjprusk
I use K3B, which is part of most all standard Linux distros. All you have to do is select "generate UDF extensions" on the Burn Data DVD options tab. I took a quick look at K3B, but it doesn't specifically state which version of UDF its using (I suppose you could dig around the K3B project in sourceforge.net to find out the details). When I get a little time, I'll see if I can find the details about UDF version, but I suspect its more an issue of the software burning the extenions properly vs. the actual version of the extensions.
Which DVD burning program (and what settings) works for windows or Mac operating systems? I've tried the different Nero DVD settings but can not get a MP3 DVD disc to CONSISTENTLY work in my new SL550. It is hit and miss: sometimes the headunit reads the DVD and other times i get a UNKNOWN FORMAT message.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:36 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
If it's inconsistent, that's most likely the quality of the media you're using or the speed you're writing at. Try writing slower with better media. I believe after discussion from Steve from MbenzNL that my headunit needs a software update, because right now I cannot play mp3s for the life of me through the command, only the cd changer which doesn't exactly work right.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:54 AM

Mp3 Dvd

The first method I'd try on a Mac would be is iTunes (set preferences/Advanced/Burning/Disk Format to "Data CD or DVD"). That should burn a DVD in the proper format. Another option would be Toast - its rated quite highly, although I haven't used it myself. On Windows, I don't have a clue (gave up on the that a couple of years ago as I wanted a system that actually worked).
Old 06-11-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jjprusk
The first method I'd try on a Mac would be is iTunes (set preferences/Advanced/Burning/Disk Format to "Data CD or DVD"). That should burn a DVD in the proper format. Another option would be Toast - its rated quite highly, although I haven't used it myself. On Windows, I don't have a clue (gave up on the that a couple of years ago as I wanted a system that actually worked).
I had a lot of trouble finding a DVD format and a burning program that created mp3 DVD's that CONSISTENTLY played on my 2007 SL550 head unit slot. After trying Nero (which burned UDF DVD's), Musicmatch, and itunes I became very frustrated because either my DVD's were not recognized at all by the Command drive, or sometimes it would be and sometimes it won't be recognized. I finally got reliable mp3 DVD's burned using Toast version 7 for Mac. Just choose mp3 Disc (not Audio DVD) and burn about 1,000 mp3 songs on the DVD. Although the Command unit does not recognize the ID3 tags, you don't have to remove them from the song file. It's a very cool feature, but it should be compatible with more DVD formats.