Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Powered antenna or not 06 c230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230WZ
Powered antenna or not 06 c230

I recently installed a new touch screen car computer in my 06 c230 and one among several issues I am having is my radio reception blows. I bought the VW radio harness, which everyone says works but for my 06 it did not so I had to test my wire leads for the correct wire. I did not run a wire for a power antenna. Does the 06 have an antenna that requires 12v to amplify it or is it similar to other vehicle antennas that do not require power? I have searched but found no confirmation. Please help!

I think the head unit turned out well but I plan to mold a screen in my mounting kit and lose the fold out for a more stock look.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe there is just an AM/FM antenna splitter in the back of the car, not sure if it has a built in RF amp though. I can ask around.

Is the FM receiver in your system automotive grade? Automotive FM receivers are usually very heavy-handed with the stereo/mono blend settings among other things to give the "impression" of good reception. If your car PC has a control panel menu for FM tuner settings, try tweaking this setting. Or maybe you can select different tone settings by input? Try reducing the treble adjustment just for FM. Hopefully, you may at least have control over stereo/mono, set it to mono since that's really all you get with "FM stereo" car radio's anyway.

Last resort would be to try adding FM amp in the antenna lead once if it's determined that the car's antenna system is okay.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:14 PM

2006 C230WZ
I actually did add an inline amplifier. It was a cheap single wire one I had from a long time ago, so I assume it’s not of good quality but I tested with and without and it helped. If you could find out for sure that would be great! I never thought about tweaking the settings, I know I can in the TV portion of the card so I will give that a shot as well. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
When the factory radio was disconnected it would have had a black and a mustard connector on the rear.

These are the SMB type of connectors which have nothing to do with the harness. The factory antenna runs 24x7 because it is part of the door unlock system - therefore it has to run all of the time.

So it would help if we can see a pinout of the new head unit and find out what it doesnt do. Need to see some connectors also.

I dont know if it is a good or bad product but it seems like the retailer has no idea how it works.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:43 PM

2006 C230WZ
You might have lost me but I think I understand you. I did connect the correct lead (I think the black) The stereo shop I bought the adapter from told me one was for satellite radio and one was the antenna just cant remember which now but I know I have it right. As far as connection for the new head unit it just has a

Red-battery
Yellow-ign
Black-ground
Blue- power antenna/remote (not hooked to anything)
And 4 pair of speaker wires
And a standard antenna plug and a 3.5mm connection for a TV antenna

Is this what you meant?