Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Aux input and iPod Integration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C280
Aux input and iPod Integration

I installed the Aux input cable on my 2005 C240 Audio 10 and have been using it for my iPod. Much better than the old FM modulator. Especially in So. Fla where the FM band is packed. I am thinking about getting the factory iPod integration kit. How does the kit hook up to the existing system and is the dealer going to tell me this can't be done because of the Aux input?
Old 05-21-2006, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The two cannot coexist. The Ipod kit uses the same input as the aux in cable does to take the sound output of the Ipod and feed it into the amplifiers. The Ipod kit also takes the song data and puts it on the CAN bus for display on the MFD (multi function display.) The steering wheel butons are also on the CAN bus, and they can control some functions of the Ipod.

While I have installed the kit for other people, I kept the aux input because it gives me added flexability for the audio source. MP3 players, laptops, DAT, scanners, camcorders, and DVD players have all been used in my car.

Displaying the song title in the MFD is just telling my eyes what my ears already know, so I find that of little use to me. I put the $260 the kit would have cost toward power folding outside mirrors.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:42 PM

2006 C280
Thanks for the input (no pun intended) on the iPod. I had a feeling that would be the case. So what are your thoughts on the factory Sirius setup? I had Sirius in my last car and I really miss it. I am all about a clean interior but I am having trouble with the tought of spending $1,000+ for the MB setup. Especially when I can get an aftermarket kit for less than a 1/4 of the price including installation. Is the MB setup really worth all that $$?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The MBZ kit is an easy install on wagons. The hardest part is making a 20mm hole in the roof and cutting a 4 inch square hole in the headliner. Don't use a drill, it will damage the roof panel. Use a unibit or a chassis punch. Primer the edge of the hole to prevent rust. I tried mounting the antenna inside the grill, but reception in my fashionable hillside neighborhood was not satisfactory, so I cut the hole. The rest is real quick, just connectors and screws. There are directions from the factory that are simple to follow.

The advantage is that the station displays on the MFD, and the wheel controls work. The audio is carried to the head unit on an optical cable, which rejects all the other noise that troubles wired connections. The receiver tucks into the right rear corner below the HK sub (if equipped).
The soft keys on the head unit allow manipulation of the Sirius receiver, so unlike add on boxes you don't need to fumble for a wee box to tune the receiver. The volume is the same as AM/FM/CD so you don't need to jockey the volume control when changing between them.

The station, artist, and title appear on the head unit, not on the mfd. You also get scan and presets too.

What sucks is Sirius customer service. I have not had had one transaction with them go smoothly, and the people on the phone could not pour **** from a boot with instructions printed on the heel.

I have heard that Sirius kits are in short supply, so I would not wait if you want one. Situation may be better for wagons. If you self-install, be sure to order the templates for the hole cutting, and ask your dealer to do the version coding during an A or B service, since the computer is already connected to their service software. List price of the kit is about 700, and 200 is plenty if they install. Takes 45 minutes.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:01 PM

2006 C280
MBZ of Pompano Beach, FL just quoted me $1,475 installed for the factory Sirius kit. Where did you get it for $700?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:25 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
We install them all the time for $900.. and it is worth it in my opinion to have the hardwired unit.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:00 PM

2006 C280
Can I assume that the MBZ list price for the parts is the same regardless of the dealership.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The list price from MBUSA is the same, but many dealers add an additional mark-up to the parts prices. Some a lot more. I bought my Sirius receiver in Jan of 05 for $525 at the wholesale desk of a So Cal dealer.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 AM

2006 C280
Originally Posted by Moviela
The list price from MBUSA is the same, but many dealers add an additional mark-up to the parts prices. Some a lot more. I bought my Sirius receiver in Jan of 05 for $525 at the wholesale desk of a So Cal dealer.
That price looks much more attractive especially given that it includes a year of free Sirius service (right?). Looks like my stealer is doubling up on the list price and then adding the install on top of that. What dealer did you go to? Can I get the parts from them and should I attempt the install myself? Also, do you have the individual part numbers so that I can check with some other dealers in my area?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E220 CDI (W211)
The two cannot coexist. The Ipod kit uses the same input as the aux in cable does to take the sound output of the Ipod and feed it into the amplifiers. The Ipod kit also takes the song data and puts it on the CAN bus for display on the MFD (multi function display)
How is the song data from the Ipod fed into the CAN bus? Where is it connected to? I can only see 1 AUX audio connector on the back of the headunit.

. . . camcorders, and DVD players have all been used in my car.
How did you connect this equipment? Are they connected via the TV Tuner?
I heard that's the only way you can input an external A/V source into the COMAND.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by barrykaye
That price looks much more attractive especially given that it includes a year of free Sirius service (right?). Looks like my stealer is doubling up on the list price and then adding the install on top of that. What dealer did you go to? Can I get the parts from them and should I attempt the install myself? Also, do you have the individual part numbers so that I can check with some other dealers in my area?
There is a part number for the whole kit, and two numbers for the paper templates to cut the holes. The kit differs by year and model, MOST or D2B sound system, mounting brackets, and wiring.

Easy to install if you can understand the directions. The directions are not included in the kit, but the dealer can print the few pages for you.

The dealer does need to connect the shop computer to tell the system that Sirius is now aboard. Might cost a half hour of labor.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by migabc
How is the song data from the Ipod fed into the CAN bus? Where is it connected to? I can only see 1 AUX audio connector on the back of the headunit.

How did you connect this equipment? Are they connected via the TV Tuner?
I heard that's the only way you can input an external A/V source into the COMAND.
Mercedes makes a cable and electronics black box that allows connection of an Ipod. The black box takes the song data in "Apple Speak" and converts it to "Benz Speak" to join the CAN bus. The audio is fed into the COMAND on the aux input. A lot of folks simply use this input alone for the audio, and look at the face of the Ipod to see the name of the song. Other people pay a few hundred Euros to see the song title in the instrument cluster.

I don't display video on the head unit. I don't own a COMAND unit. I display video on a 20 inch (51cm) high definition monitor.

I am not sure that the TV tuner is the ONLY way to input video to a COMAND, but it certainly is one of the easiest ways to do it.

Last edited by Moviela; 05-27-2006 at 02:28 AM.