Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W220 S or W215 CL 1999-2003 UHI retrofit (Euro version phones)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Wink W220 S or W215 CL 1999-2003 UHI retrofit (Euro version phones)

This is a reference guide for owners of S (220) and CL (215) with CD based navigation and a Nokia phone kit. Whilst it does also apply to W210 and many other cars - there are some slight differences here and there.

Your mission if you choose to accept it is to convert this 1999-2003 S-Class W220 into UHI using OEM parts !

The culprit

With the rear seat unclipped and one mushroom and two pins removed you can carefully peel back the sound baffle and foam underlay to reveal the module frame above the rear fuse box.

Using an 8mm hex tool this is the module carrier with the phone unit on the left. Unclip and remove this module till the very end when the new UHI module will be installed in its place. Do not replace untill all cutting is done.

There are several things going on here. First I took off the cover panel in the corner of the armrest (Torx9 IIRC) interior. Then the whole phone tray and noting that the old amrest wiring was damaged I decided to replace that wiring with 2003 W215 wiring because it had the right connectors on it.

In the bottom right you see a metal plate. You will need to felt-tape the new antenna lead onto that plate because the tension keeps it in place and stops it from falling out of its special cabling groove along the back of the armrest groove.

You will also discover that the hinge moves through and opening which has two small cover plates. When removed the connectors will pass easily through.

Here the old body harness is exposed. Mini UHF and RJ48 (10pin)

This is what you do with the 10 pin connector

This is the antenna converter for the mini-UHF antenna converter. It is made with an SMB connector (FAKRA) and the cable I salvaged from the original armrest wiring. This part was not damaged.

Antenna adapter in place, new armrest cabling in place and main harness crimped and converted to match.

This is a loose fitting of the armrest insert. Notice that I didnt allow enough of the cabling to run under the phone plate. So I loosened it from the groove it lives in allowed for the main connectors to slide under the phone tray

With that done I applied liberal amounts of felt tape and closed up the whole lot but not before I modified the small cap that sits to cover the cables (just cut off plastic near the cable pass hole) and then taped the antenna down.

Install the UHI control module

Tools needed
-------------
Philliips driver
Torx kit
Hex drivers
MQS crimper
SMB crimper
Parts all from Mercedes

All done ......

Parts by MBENZNL