Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Is the Bluetooth Puck CDMA or GSM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Bluetooth Puck CDMA or GSM?

I have an ML500 W164 with the UHI not MHI kit installed, in Europe they have part numer B6 787 5840 for the puck and it has some aditional function for SIM cards over the MHI Puck.

My question is, can I use a CDMA (Verizon) phone with this European puck or do they only work with GSM phones.

Also what happens if I install the MHI Bluetooth Puck on my UHI system, will I only loose the SIM function?. The same question applies for CDMA or GSM for the MHI Puck.

J
Old 05-31-2006, 07:35 PM

The "Puck" is the nickname for the Bluetooth adaptor that upgrades the US V60 hands-free system for MY 2002 - 2003 cars to Bluetooth. It looks like a puck! This device is not for non-US cars. You have something else.

I know that the '5839 MHI Bluetooth Interface Adaptor works with Euro cars with UHI system. I didn't know that a Euro version was out already, bet it was never tested with CDMA though.

Anyway, you're ahead of the curve with non-certified application questions with the '5840 Bluetooth Interface. If you try it, please post your results!

Anyone have experience with this yet?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:24 AM

2003 SL500
Without any specific knowledge on this, the Bluetooth interface between the phone and the in-car system should be independent of the cellular system technology used by the carrier (CDMA v. GSM).

The caveat here is that some CDMA-based carriers (Verizon) are reputed to deliberately disable Bluetooth features in their phones so as to force users into using their (pricey) cellular data services rather than (free) Bluetooth for things like syncing their calendar and contacts to a PC.

Regarding the '5840 part number, I wonder if this is the long-rumored Euro Bluetooth system making use of the Sim Access Profile feature that some phones apparently have which permits the in-car system to "take over" the phone's personality, and hence use an external antenna, etc.

Or is it likely to just be a close sibling to the '5839 MHI BT cradle?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:07 AM

Thanks, the part is already available in Germany, although it has been out for just days. http://www.navigeo.de/content/view/79/2/

Installed you can see it here on a CLS:

http://www.cls-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=924

I have the same thoghts on Bluetooth being independant of Cell Phone band, however I posted before purchasing since there is so much knowledge on this forum.

Thanks again.

J