Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

MB Bluetooth Modules (with SAP) Now Available in Europe!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up MB Bluetooth Modules (with SAP) Now Available in Europe!

Two new MB Bluetooth Modules were just relased in Europe for MY 2005+ UHI/MHI equipped vehicles. The interesting thing is that they also support SAP (SIM Access Profile). SAP reads the SIM card information from your phone over Bluetooth then loads it into the car's hands-free NAD (kinda like a built-in, blank GSM mobile phone). The idea is that you get Bluetooth convenience but with external antenna and don't use up your handset's battery! When you get out of the car, the Bluetooth link is lost and the NAD erases it's SIM info download for security reasons.

I havn't been able to determine yet if the new modules are Quad-Band for use in the US too or just Europe only. BTW, US dealers don't have access to this part yet, so if you want to experiment, you'll need a German dealer connection.

I do know that T-Mobile is at least considering SAP support for the US with new handsets in the future.

Part numbers are:

B67875840 for the module (looks just like US Bluetooth MHI Module)

B67875838 for module with built in coil-cord privacy handset
Old 06-07-2006, 01:37 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
will they support the US MOST cell phone package? (i think this is MHI...europe is UHI??)

Gareth
Old 06-07-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
The cell phone technology itself should not be a problem but the cradle may not work with US MHI cars. I guess it has to be tested.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:39 PM

My guess is that all should be okay with MHI MB cars and US Bluetooth phones. The question that is still open is what happens when a SAP capable phone is used in the US. Since these new modules have a built in "cellphone" for SAP use, is it quad band, tri, or dual band? If they're not quad band and capable of operating on US cell phone frequencies, one will not be able to take advantage of the SAP feature in the US.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:27 AM

Just got confirmation that the new SAP enabled Bluetooth modules are dual-band.

Do not buy if you expect to use them in the US, they will not work in SAP mode on US cellular networks because they only transmit on European cellular frequencies. oh-well.