Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Linguatronic/Voice Activation Help for Navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
Linguatronic/Voice Activation Help for Navigation

Had read a prior post that someone was able to control navigation with their Linguatronic (including adding directions, etc).

So today I tried it and the only thing it seems to do is to change the Comand screen to Navigation (I say "navigation" after activating the voice control stalk). Haven't figured away to input a destination by voice, any help?

I have a Euro COMAND (put in by Steve) in my 2004 C320 (CD based). Was wondering if there are any voice prompts that people have found out on (regarding navigation or anything else in general).

One voice prompt I found helpful is when you verbally say a # and if it is wrong, you can say "Correct" and it will remove the last 4 digits (say correct again and I believe it takes out the next 3), then it asks you for the correct digits. ( a bit confusing b/c my wife thinks when I say correct, she thinks I'm acknowledging this is the right #).

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I believe voice control of the Nav screens was introduced with COMAND 2.0 in the U.S. My '05 S500 has it. When I upgraded my '00's voice control to an '01 model, my COMAND 2.5 unit would switch to the Nav screen but no control of the screen was provided. Switching to the Nav screen, by the way, was an undocumented feature, which I found one day by saying "Navigation." It wasn't in the instruction book (which was for '01) or in the help menu.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 PM

What Skylaw said. The needed support for what you want has to be in the headunit and VR control module software. This was never developed for D2B equipped cars like yours.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:12 AM

2004 C320 pewter/charcoal
That's a shame, the most dangerous part of using the navigation was inputting the address in (which as most probably do) was while driving (I know shame on me).

Anyone else know of any hidden prompts on COMAND that weren't listed?

On an off note, I got my wife the Magellan 800 and it far surpasses the navigation on my car. I love the feature where you can sort restaurants by category (i.e. Japanese, Indian, etc) and it will find the nearest one to your location. Plus it listed phone # of businesses it found so you can call to make sure they're still there (several instances where we navigate to a restaurant on the COMAND to only find out that place has since closed).
The magellan even has voice prompts saying the destination is on the right or left.

It's really a shame that such expensive cars come with such featureless navigations systems. The only thing I like about it is the integrated look.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:44 AM

I agree! There is also a considerable risk factor with built-in Navi units due to obsolescence. All automotive OEM's stop producing CD/DVD map updates after a product ages about 4 years. This isn't a big deal if you lease but it may become a resale value issue in the future as more people catch on to the limitations.

It's a software development cost issue that will still impact future hard drive and flash memory based units in the future.

On the other hand, the factory integrated systems do, at least, look good!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by jugdishoh1
I love the feature where you can sort restaurants by category (i.e. Japanese, Indian, etc) and it will find the nearest one to your location.
The DVD based COMAND 2.0 lists restaurants by type (or all) and locates those near your location (or another specified location). No phone numbers, though - also no "yellow pages" for retail stores. Shopping centers only. Hope they improve that.