Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Replace speaker grill cloth - 1997 SL 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 SL 500
Question Replace speaker grill cloth - 1997 SL 500

I'm trying to replace the speaker grill cloth in my 1997 SL 500. The bottom speakers on the doors are easy to remove and repair. However, not sure how to remove the top grills. Is there an easy way to do this, or does the door panel need to come off? If so, do I need to worry about the air bag? Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2002, 09:58 PM

SL500
How easy was it to remove the bottom speaker cloth and where did you find the replacement? I've been debating whether or not to try it myself. However, after reading your post I will give it a try. Did you have to unscrew the bottom speaker panel?

If I find out anything about the top grill, I will let you know.

I have a '98 SL500.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2002, 11:33 PM

1997 SL 500
Thumbs up Website for Grill Cloth

Check out www.speakerworks.net/grill_cloth.html . The beige matched my interior pretty well. They'll send you free samples.

The bottom covers have one sheet metal screw in the bottom, then the cover slides off (toward the dash, I think). Do not try to pry it straight out, or you'll break off the tabs.

Tops are still a problem. I'm pretty sure the door panel has to come off. But let me know if you find out otherwise.

Good luck!