Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Replacing Head Unit in 99 E430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E430
Replacing Head Unit in 99 E430

I've been reading posts on replacing head units and read many things. I've been researching this along with the audio store that I would purchase this from. I wanted to pass along what I have heard. Please let me know how much is correct/incorrect.
1. There is a fiber optic connection that goes to both the CD changer and amp. If you change the head unit, you will also have to change these items as well.
2. The head unit does not have a constant power wire. It uses a battery. They are still looking into a wiring diagram to try and figure out where to tie into.
3. The interface (I believe it called the COMBUS or something like that) to the head unit, if you have the intgrated phone, also includes other car management functions. This, at least to the installer, is a killer.
4. There is no technical information availiable on the speaker. This is typical of Bose products. So it is a crap shoot if the speakers will work (I am (was) going to replace them).
5. If all of the above were to be solved, they would have to completely rip the interior out, seats, door panels and roof panels. To some this is no big thing, I personally cringe at the thought of all those new squeeks and rattles.

Please verify, rip-up, add, delete. I want this put to bed: either I can replace it, or I cannot. We do have a somewhat unique thing in OKC. The gentleman who own's the audio store was a MB service tech for 15 years. Still hangs his awards on his wall. He knows several of the guys at MB of OKC. So this info, hopefully, is pretty accurate.