Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Retrofitting comand with worries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220cdi T
Unhappy Retrofitting comand with worries

Thanks all of you for a great forum
As I am not able to find exact answer in previous threads I will like to try a new one.
Recently I fitted a command 2.0 (210 820 54 89)in my E220cdi T 1998/1999. in exchange for the original Mercedes 30 radio with cassette and remote cd-changer and telephone. I had to rewire the plugs a bit and install a GPS antenna (under dash original Mercedes), replace the plastic frame and wood panel.
I have updated the comand unit with MY2001 software(yes from the cd player that now tells me there is no cd installed and returns the cd when I feed it ??) .
I have also altered it to no can bus, according to instructions from a German guide.
However the only things that seem to work are:
Radio, cd-changer and telephone.
No navigation and no cd function (internal).
I have replaced the laser eye, without success.
I have the following error code(s) present:
B1762.
Also B0017,B1736/2 and B1736/10, but they did not come back after I deleted them.

My next step is to try to configure it at a Mercedes dealer/shop, hopefully this week.

Any suggestions out there
Old 09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
THe German modification guide is 100% rubbish. Most COMAND units can be made into NON-CAN with diagnostic version coding to setting = W163.

Also, the unit you are tampering with is probably faulty.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:02 AM

E220cdi T
Thanks
I found the w163 tip, after it was altered.It can be reversed, but now the unit switches on/off with ignition and the internal lights works with the instrument lights.
however dont you think its worth the trip to Mercedes to configure the comand??
Old 09-11-2006, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by petter
Thanks
I found the w163 tip, after it was altered.It can be reversed, but now the unit switches on/off with ignition and the internal lights works with the instrument lights.
however dont you think its worth the trip to Mercedes to configure the comand??
If the CD drive can not read the map then what is the point of going to the dealer !
Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 PM

E220cdi T
Originally Posted by benzmodz
If the CD drive can not read the map then what is the point of going to the dealer !
I agree so much. thats why I did not go to the shop before. I have allways thought that the comand is a self supported unit.and therefore it should work independently.
But more and more I suspect/hope that it must be programmed through the diagnostic connection. (from factory the car was equipped/programmed with the things that still work.never a in dash cd or navigation.)
Otherwise it has a fault that only affects the cd-drive and navigation.
thanks for you effort.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:10 PM

W210 '99 E class elegance 200 CDI, tweaked with turbo
How to re configure COMAND to W163

Hello,

I have an W210 E class without CAN bus and a previous owner built in a COMAND 2.0 DX (A210 820 56 89 with CAN). He did the job poorly.

Now I'm continuing where he stopped.

I have rebuilt the COMAND also accoring to the german instuction. It works fins so far (does not switch off every 40 minutes anymore, but does power off when when contact is deactivated (is what I wanted)).

In the post before the following was said:
Most COMAND units can be made into NON-CAN with diagnostic version coding to setting = W163.

Can anyone tell me how this is done? I cannot find this tip.

Also I am looking for a yellow clip which states that the COMAND is mounted in a 25 degree angle. If these clips are unavailable, maybe a workaround by solding some pins together?

Thanks in advance!