Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Audio 20 AUX - B170

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB B170 Sport
Audio 20 AUX - B170

Hi,
some days ago I was testing some functions on my Audio 20 radio (installed in a B-Class) when I saw that, holding down the CDC button on the radio, the display shows me that the AUX IN is active even though I have not installed neither a CD-Changer nor an i-Pod module.
Is that normal?
Some of you can tell me where precisely is located the AUX IN in the glove compartment in a B-Class to verify if it is present in my car?

Touching in the glove compartment i felt a hole with some brushes around, just behind the air vents of the compartment... it looks like a hole for wires... it is that one?

Thanks a lot, bye
Old 09-23-2006, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
The function is available but the cable is missing.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:20 AM

MB B170 Sport
OK thx, I thought that when an MB certified module was not fitted the AUX IN was set to inactive on the Audio 20 radio.
I was surprised seeing it set to active....

Thx a lot
Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by firstcapt
OK thx, I thought that when an MB certified module was not fitted the AUX IN was set to inactive on the Audio 20 radio.
I was surprised seeing it set to active....

Thx a lot
The Audio 5 low cost unit has a deactivated AUX (which can be activated) the Audio 20 is ok.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 AM

MB B170 Sport
Originally Posted by benzmodz
The Audio 5 low cost unit has a deactivated AUX (which can be activated) the Audio 20 is ok.
OK thx so much!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 PM
MMR

ML-320 and A-160
How do you activate "Aux In" in Audio 5?

I own a W168 Class A-160 with Audio 5 unit (I think from Alpine). Is there a way to activate Aux In?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Originally Posted by firstcapt
Hi,
some days ago I was testing some functions on my Audio 20 radio (installed in a B-Class) when I saw that, holding down the CDC button on the radio, the display shows me that the AUX IN is active even though I have not installed neither a CD-Changer nor an i-Pod module.
Is that normal?
Some of you can tell me where precisely is located the AUX IN in the glove compartment in a B-Class to verify if it is present in my car?

Touching in the glove compartment i felt a hole with some brushes around, just behind the air vents of the compartment... it looks like a hole for wires... it is that one?

Thanks a lot, bye
Its not installed as standard - see my comand-aps retrofit doc (a/b class) on www.mercupgrades.com - tells you how to add aux in (and cdc, and comand-aps) on a a/b class.

Its only a cable, and its not expensive.

Cheers

R
Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 PM

B170
Originally Posted by Richard
Its not installed as standard - see my comand-aps retrofit doc (a/b class) on www.mercupgrades.com - tells you how to add aux in (and cdc, and comand-aps) on a a/b class.

Its only a cable, and its not expensive.

Cheers

R
Hi Richard...what an excellent guide you have there! Just a question, what should I do to re-enable the built-in Aux-In connection in my B170? My car has the iPod integration kit installed by dealer. (I don't really need the iPod connection)

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you dont use the iPod kit, take it out (see my iPod install document on the mercupgrades.com website!) and put this in instead. (and sell iPod kit on eBay !)

If you have a reasonably new iPod kit , then it will auto switch between the iPod and the Aux, just plug in the aux cable into the connector that is part of the car loom that is plugged into the iPod loom which then plugs into the Audio-20. The early iPod kits couldn't switch (so you lost the aux function)

I suspect you can tell the difference by looking at whether there is aux wiring connections on the iPod loom where it connects to the car's loom

So, you select AUX in the same way as for the iPod

Richard
Old 11-18-2007, 01:04 PM

B170
Originally Posted by Richard
If you dont use the iPod kit, take it out (see my iPod install document on the mercupgrades.com website!) and put this in instead. (and sell iPod kit on eBay !)

If you have a reasonably new iPod kit , then it will auto switch between the iPod and the Aux, just plug in the aux cable into the connector that is part of the car loom that is plugged into the iPod loom which then plugs into the Audio-20. The early iPod kits couldn't switch (so you lost the aux function)

I suspect you can tell the difference by looking at whether there is aux wiring connections on the iPod loom where it connects to the car's loom

So, you select AUX in the same way as for the iPod

Richard
Ok...will get my hands dirty this weekend. Thanks Richard! Hope mine is the new iPod kit.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 AM

B170
Managed to strip my car's interior this afternoon. Looks like my '07 B170 has different wiring setup (as compared to the info provided from Richard's site). My observation...

1) The built-in Aux-In cable is Not a standalone cable that joins directly to the back of the Audio 20. I could see that the other end of the Aux-In cable actually bundles together with a thick cable bunch, which is then fully wrapped in a black 'cloth'. I couldn't really trace all the way as to where this cable bunch goes to, due to the thick sponge paddings above and behind the glove box.

2) This Aux-In cable definitely does not connect to the iPod interface box. The iPod interface is completely independent and connects to the back of the Audio 20.

3) I couldn't find any disconnected or plugged-out cable behind the Audio 20 area.

I'm thinking maybe all I need is to just get someone to run that Diagnostic program and tell the system to re-enable the Aux-In port...hehe..
Old 11-26-2007, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now i;m confused. Is there an aux input in the glovebox (where I fitted it in my retrofit article)

If not, then the cable isnt installed. (apart from on some W203 where it is sometimes installed but not mounted in the glovebox, just there rattling- but that may have been a build quality issue!)

The Ipod interface, if installed as per MB instructions has a chunky loom between the car's loom and the back of the audio-20-cd. that loom has wires that go off to the iPod interface, which has a cable that goes to the glovebox for the iPod to connect to.

The 'chunky loom' is just intercepting the wiring between car and audio-20 - i.e if you remove it, the car's connector then plugs straight into the audio-20-cd - which is partially why the iPod retrofit is so easy

A diagnostic wont help - the Audio-20 has no diagnostic procedure to check if the wiring for an aux input is there

Richard
Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 PM

B170
The '07 B comes with factory-built-in Aux-In in the glove box (at the same location where u retrofit), guess that's why the cable is not standalone.

Strange that my iPod interface connects directly to the Audio 20 and not through any looms.