Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

1993 190E Speakers Stop/Start Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SL500
1993 190E Speakers Stop/Start Working

The speakers on my 1993 190E started having problems some months ago. First one speaker in the rear cut out, then (a few weeks later) the second rear speaker, then (a few weeks later) the right front speaker. With each speaker, the output dropped drastically and sounded very distorted. Sometimes, I can turn up the volume to almost max and -bang!- the speaker will suddenly start blasting out sound. I can then drop the volume to normal and the speaker sounds like it should.

Since the speakers can provide normal output, I presume the problem is with the radio itself or possibly the wiring. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Did replacing the radio solve the problem?

Thanks, Will
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 350
This car is old enough that a few things can happen:
1. poor connection
This can happen but unlikely to happen on multiple connectors at about the same time. To fix them is simply finding them, disconnect and reconnect again.
2. solder joint failure
This is can happen on multiple connections and will require taking the radio apart then resolder the failed joints. This can happen in many subsystems such as windshield wipers, A/C controllers etc.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 PM

190e
My car Is doing the exact same thing