Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

CAN-BUS and VSS denial

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAN-BUS and VSS denial on ML-320

Season's Greetings,

Senario:

Installing an '05 MCS in '99 ML320 (currently have a factory BOSE installed) and have read that the CAN-BUS and VSS need to be installed when the MCS is installed, but..

Questions:
- If I do not install the CAN-BUS and VSS related components at initial MCS install, will the FM radio still function? Also, will the vehicle or MCS be potentially damaged? (I have seen understand the difference in connector pinout between the '99 and '05.)

- Since the ML320 has the BOSE amplifier, do I need an AGW via fiber to hear sound from the '05 MCS? Or will the sound quality be poor without an AGW? Again, will the vehicle or MCS be potentially damaged?

Last edited by buddypetty; 12-23-2006 at 01:04 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-24-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have tempted fate... I plugged in the primary connector and the mcs worked on FM AM WB. It also read the nav dvd disc. I assume it will always home back to Alabama, at least until the unit synchronizes with the birds in the sky. my primary concern is a potential impedance mismatch beteen the mcs and the Bose amp. I plan to make the mcs marriage legal in January by ordering the can-bus and related components.

aside from reconfiguring the connector to 'realign' the speakers, should I be concerned about connecting the '05 mcs to a '99 bose amp?

Last edited by buddypetty; 12-24-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by buddypetty
I have tempted fate... I plugged in the primary connector and the mcs worked on FM AM WB. It also read the nav dvd disc. I assume it will always home back to Alabama, at least until the unit synchronizes with the birds in the sky. my primary concern is a potential impedance mismatch beteen the mcs and the Bose amp. I plan to make the mcs marriage legal in January by ordering the can-bus and related components.

aside from reconfiguring the connector to 'realign' the speakers, should I be concerned about connecting the '05 mcs to a '99 bose amp?
I'm not exactly sure what you are doing, but.. If you do not connect the VSS which I don't believe you can,your unit will not track when you move the vehicle.. it will always say offroad.. or somethig..So your nav will come on, but it will be dead because it does not know when the car is moving.or how fast you are going, etc...
As far as the Can-bus ( I think you mean the MOST connector on the 05 unit),
99 did not use this type of comm. it is D2b which in not compatible with MOST so you lost me there.... Yes the unit will power up, and Yes you will have FM, AM, an WB, and yes your dvd loads because all your radios needs is 12v and a ground for this to happen. And iF you connect the speakers up, they might even work also. BUT when you turn off your car, you unit will stay on.( no Most wakeup/sleep control ) And You will not be able to access any of the functions from your steering wheel except ( MAYBE ). the volume..

All of the commands for changing the station's and other functions are patched via the MOST bus not CAN. ON the newer cars there is a Gateway and one of it;s functions is to integrate the CAN signals into the MOST bus. You don't have a gateway, unless it's integrated in the head unit i'm not sure.
Some units are, like the 06 SLK, CLK units..And I think the 06 ML' units but I'm not sure about the 05's

If you get this to work Fully. please post your results,, I am terribly interested in seeing how this all works out for you.

happy modding.