Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sirius Reception Compared to XM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S65
Sirius Reception Compared to XM

Just had my dealer install Sirius in my 2005 E55. The signal reception seems to be a lot worse than the XM in my Acura. For example, I lose reception briefly 2-3 times on the road from my home to the freeway in the E55; XM comes thru all the way down the road. Do others have this Sirius vs. XM experience, or is there something wrong with my install?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

E63 AMG
Sirius reception BAD

I have an identical experience to share. My wife's TL has XM and it seldom blinks out. Two weeks ago, I had the dealer install Sirius (my only choice) in my CLS500. It blinks out all the time. I can't make sense of it.

I tried installing a Sirius radio in my house where two existing XM receivers are placed. Sirius would not work in either of the two locations so I returned the hardware.

I feel that Sirius is the weak link here - not Mercedes. Having said this, I do wish Mercedes would do what Lexus does... Over a choice of XM *OR* Sirius in their cars.

Regards,
R.Meltz
Southern California
Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
It is widely accepted that XM gets better reception than Sirrius. This is for all applications, not just Mercedes
Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 AM

98 C43, 86 Porsche 951, 98 Volvo S70 T5M
I've had Sirius for 3 years now and the only problems I have with reception are from going under Overpasses and other things that block sky access. I also have a roof mounted antenna.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
XM birds are geosyncronous and Sirius are HELO. XM just hangs in the sky over the same position, whereas Sirius is constantly moving. This means that Sirius reception varies even for a fixed point antenna.

I found that a roof mounted antenna works better than hiding it in the grill or hood vent. There is an 8 or 9 second data buffer in the receiver, but it still looses rception for longer periods. Funny how it never seems to fail during advertising, but just let one of my favorite show tunes to come on and there is complete silence.

I like Sirius programming better than XM, but their signal delivery system needs a stronger bird in the sky. Both systems suffer from over compression making the MP3 sound like hifi.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tesla model S
Wow, I bought the cheapest Sirius reciver a year ago from target and installed it in my wagon - no problems, sounds great. Then 3 months ago I bought a starmate and installed it my wifes 04 Pacifica, the damn thing sucks, it sounds like a bad AM station or something, a lot of static. Its so bad she doesn't even turn it on so I called for another one but I don't really believe its the receiver, not sure what the problem is to be honest.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by rmeltz1
(Paraphrased) ...I feel that Sirius is the weak link here - not Mercedes. Having said this, I do wish Mercedes would do what Lexus does... Offer a choice of XM *OR* Sirius in their cars.

Regards,
R.Meltz
Southern California

The only Vehicle manufacturers that offer a choice of Satellite (XM/Serius) are those manufacturers that do not own a part of either satellite company. DCX & Ford are majority stockholders of Sirius, GM is a majority stockholder of XM, so they have assets to protect/promote in their Satellite operations. Other car manufacturers have no investment in either so they let you decide on which you want.

...Now I would really like MBUSA to provide OnSt@r service rather than MB's indifferent TeleAid.