Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Let's input POIs into the COMAND APS Navi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 CDI Elegance Sport Edition (Euro)
Let's input POIs into the COMAND APS Navi

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a project aimed to being able to add POIs (Points of Interest) to my W203 C-Class Euro COMAND APS, currently running V6.3 European DVD Tele-Atlas maps.

I'm seeking help from all of the ones who know of information related to the above. URLs, discussion topics, tools, ideas, or even code, examples and information concerning the DVD structure are welcome.

The ultimate goal would be to add speed cameras POIs to such DVDs.

Thank-you for your help and contributions, as posts here as well as as private messages.

TSC
Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by TSC2
Hi everyone,

I'm starting a project aimed to being able to add POIs (Points of Interest) to my W203 C-Class Euro COMAND APS, currently running V6.3 European DVD Tele-Atlas maps.

I'm seeking help from all of the ones who know of information related to the above. URLs, discussion topics, tools, ideas, or even code, examples and information concerning the DVD structure are welcome.

Thank-you for your help and contributions, as posts here as well as as private messages.

TSC
How do you plan to format this data so that the NAV DVD will load it and understand what it is?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:01 AM

My current line of thinking would be something like:

- Take the original DVD (which I do own of course) from MB -> DONE
- Make a disk image of it -> DONE
- Understand the structure, indexes, etc, where info are stored -> WIP
- Modify existing POIs, replacing "uneuseful" ones' coordinates with my POIs' coordinates -> TBD
- Modify existing icon to show my POI icon -> TBD
- Repack and relink -> TBD
- Burn to DVD -> TBD

The above would show my POIs, like the speed cameras to the map. Assuming I'll be able to do so, the "only" issue in this case would be the announcement on the POIs, which I believe is one of the most complicated things.

TSC
Old 02-20-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My current line of thinking would be something like:

- Take the original DVD (which I do own of course) from MB -> DONE
- Make a disk image of it -> DONE
- Understand the structure, indexes, etc, where info are stored -> WIP
- Modify existing POIs, replacing "uneuseful" ones' coordinates with my POIs' coordinates -> TBD
- Modify existing icon to show my POI icon -> TBD
- Repack and relink -> TBD
- Burn to DVD -> TBD

The above would show my POIs, like the speed cameras to the map. Assuming I'll be able to do so, the "only" issue in this case would be the announcement on the POIs, which I believe is one of the most complicated things.

TSC
That was my point..

Most dbf's are coded to the host program. Even if they are able to be modified, the dbf index is a part of the program which will not understand the modifications unless it is all somehow coded into the index program..

Interesting thought...

I'll have to take a look at the files on my DVD to see what they look like but I'm almost 100% sure the entire disk has to be loaded into an assembler type program,decoded, then modified and reburned.
I'm sure this is a proprietary program but...
If you have such a program, then it's easy after you create the Icons, and be able to enter the exact GPS location data and display description for every item you want to have for a POI.

Oh yeah.. not to mention, the ability to link the POI's, phone info into comand so that it can dial the locations like it does is another story...

Well that sounds like weeks of research just to get the data you want to input.

This might be why no one else is responding to this post but me..LOL
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Right, it's a complex story. But your going down the right path. Or.. maybe not. What I mean is: you start with the assumption that things get easier when (better: if) I'm able to get access to the host program that created the DVD files and therefore the DVD images. Let's call it the "generator". My approach is slightly different. I start by the assumption that I will never out my hands on it. This would be almost impossible, unless you have a friend working at Harman/Becker engineering labs or something. So, my idea and intent is to modify the db files directly. Pretend you are able to modify the text string "Restaurant" into "Speed Cams.". This would start with giving me the "Speed Cams." as selectable Point of Interest name to be displayed. Of course if you ever selected that "Speed Cams.", you'd obtain the Restaurants still, but this is just a stupid example of how I intend to proceed.

So, that's why I need to understand "the structure", because I need to understand what to modify, and where.

Thank-you for your help !

TSC
Old 02-20-2007, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right, it's a complex story. But your going down the right path. Or.. maybe not. What I mean is: you start with the assumption that things get easier when (better: if) I'm able to get access to the host program that created the DVD files and therefore the DVD images. Let's call it the "generator". My approach is slightly different. I start by the assumption that I will never out my hands on it. This would be almost impossible, unless you have a friend working at Harman/Becker engineering labs or something. So, my idea and intent is to modify the db files directly. Pretend you are able to modify the text string "Restaurant" into "Speed Cams.". This would start with giving me the "Speed Cams." as selectable Point of Interest name to be displayed. Of course if you ever selected that "Speed Cams.", you'd obtain the Restaurants still, but this is just a stupid example of how I intend to proceed.

So, that's why I need to understand "the structure", because I need to understand what to modify, and where.

Thank-you for your help !

TSC
There is a source code out there, and a program to debug it.. I'm positive it does not belong to Harmon/becker either. The comand unit is just the device that can read the program,, That's like Dell owning windows.. they don't. neither does HP, or sony or toshiba...But all of their system will load a windows disk.

All cars that have navigation units share one thing in common. A peice of hardware that is capable of loading a specifically coded program.

Oh yeah, your approach sounds logical enough, but I know otherwise... I'm from that world.... It's not just a matter of hacking a few files and changing a few references..

Don't forget the key word here is GPS. Which means Every single listed reference MUST be accompanied by it's Specific GPS coordinates. U got time for all that?

You have me curious enough with the whole idea, it's just that I don't have 3 years to waste...
Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 AM

Unhappy

Hey my06clk. Interesting conversation indeed. I had the idea that I would have succeeded in that, because I went thru the whole process of modifying the MBW one. That is produced by Siemens, and if you look at the files, you are attracted by the idea, since several of them are (almost) pure config files in Unix text format. The only trick is doing the last part of the process, the "link". As far Speed cameras coordinates, I already have them in several file formats, from pure m's.s" to csv, asc, etc etc. so if you were referring to that part, I believe I have what I need. Still, I know it will be very, very, very difficult, and frankly don't know if I will ever succeed. I remember I read on one of the existing MB forums that someone has already identified how to change languages, by hex editing the DVD. I also understood how to do the trick, but I don't find the article anymore. I remember that the guy who posted that article also had found out the name of the host program that was used to code the map information into the proper format. If I only could fiind that article...

Thank-you for the entertaining conversation.

TSC
Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Now, the European map data comes from Teleatlas. - I think that is true even for the DVDs for Europe, although I may be wrong.

In the old COMAND days, I wanted to do this to my COMAND CD, and I wrote to Teleatlas. They pointed out their licence agreement (as included with the CD) says no disassembly, reverse engineering etc.

So I didn't persue it any further

Can I suggest a quick read of the s/w licence agreement ?

R
Old 02-21-2007, 04:05 PM

Thank-you, a good advice indeed. I have my original copy of the DVD. Around the surface of the DVD itself, there is a sentence which reads about the fact that it is prohibited to transmit, reproduce, broadcast etc etc. It doesn't say a word about disassemblying. In the DVD itself, there are 5 files, none of them being an EULA or a license agreement.

So I should be Okay in terms of licensing. However, of course TeleAtlas will _never_ help anybody with my same intent. They would need to disclose what their algorithms are (the ones used to code/decode, compress, store, etc) which would be a bit like telling what their secrets are.

TSC
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
LOB

CLK 270CDi
So... you done something? Any progress?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
likely a tougher project than first thought........ was there ever an attempt made?

Hi everyone,

TSC