Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Real-time traffic after Sirius-XM merger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Real-time traffic after Sirius-XM merger?

Does anyone here have a car with XM and GPS Nav? If so, do you have real-time traffic on your GPS maps?

I am stuck with Sirius on my 2007 SLK, and there was no option to get real-time traffic on the maps... do you suppose we'll get it after the Sirius-XM merger?

Thanks,
shahedC
Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
I don't think any of us know if our current Sirius satellite radios will even work after the merger, and if not, what will happen to current customers. Details of which system (they're not compatible with each other) will end up being the system used (or if both will) have not yet been announced...but it seems that the prevailing feeling is that XM's technology will be the one that is used.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by gvaughn
I don't think any of us know if our current Sirius satellite radios will even work after the merger, and if not, what will happen to current customers. Details of which system (they're not compatible with each other) will end up being the system used (or if both will) have not yet been announced...but it seems that the prevailing feeling is that XM's technology will be the one that is used.
That would really suck!! But you have to guess that they already have a solution (free and easy) for this. Merging would have been pointless if you loose a good bit of one of the merging companies business in the process wouldn't you think? I'm sure somebody has said umm guys, what happens if....So I'm not really worried about my device not working.

Anywayz aside from all of the pending litigation involved, the Actual merging process would not begin till the end of 2007 early 2008, so my guess is either way we won't see much change in the existing systems for at least another year and change.. I'm hoping to get more variety out of the deal not less.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 PM

2006 E500
Originally Posted by my06clk
That would really suck!! But you have to guess that they already have a solution (free and easy) for this. Merging would have been pointless if you loose a good bit of one of the merging companies business in the process wouldn't you think? I'm sure somebody has said umm guys, what happens if....So I'm not really worried about my device not working.

Anywayz aside from all of the pending litigation involved, the Actual merging process would not begin till the end of 2007 early 2008, so my guess is either way we won't see much change in the existing systems for at least another year and change.. I'm hoping to get more variety out of the deal not less.
While in the short term (after a successful merger) would be difficult because of incompatible equipment, the long run is a single system with consolidated programming and structure and customer base. The reality is that the current equipment used for each system IS incompatible. Unless the incompatibility is purely software based and can be re-configured to a single system by flashing/reprogamming software (which I'm pretty sure it isn't) there is no way around the incompatibility issue. This issue not only stems to the receiving hardware but also to the broadcast satellites.

The likely scenario is they will have to replace hardware for those users with the incompatible system. It's somewhat costly, but they wouldn't lose their entire customer base - and they have promotions every once in a while where you can get free or discounted hardware. Directv is going through this issue too as they slowly convert all of their receivers to MPEG4 video (from MPEG2).

Replacing the hardware on autos is much more of a challenge than for the standalone units however and that's "the rub".

BTW...I do think if they are able to successfully merge and solve the equipment issues the merger is good for the consumer. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by gvaughn
While in the short term (after a successful merger) would be difficult because of incompatible equipment, the long run is a single system with consolidated programming and structure and customer base. The reality is that the current equipment used for each system IS incompatible. Unless the incompatibility is purely software based and can be re-configured to a single system by flashing/reprogamming software (which I'm pretty sure it isn't) there is no way around the incompatibility issue. This issue not only stems to the receiving hardware but also to the broadcast satellites.

The likely scenario is they will have to replace hardware for those users with the incompatible system. It's somewhat costly, but they wouldn't lose their entire customer base - and they have promotions every once in a while where you can get free or discounted hardware. Directv is going through this issue too as they slowly convert all of their receivers to MPEG4 video (from MPEG2).

Replacing the hardware on autos is much more of a challenge than for the standalone units however and that's "the rub".

BTW...I do think if they are able to successfully merge and solve the equipment issues the merger is good for the consumer. We'll see what happens.
Either way.. Whatever happens, It's a long ways away for me to be worrying about it at this very moment.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:59 PM

2006 E500
Originally Posted by my06clk
Either way.. Whatever happens, It's a long ways away for me to be worrying about it at this very moment.
Definitely not something to worry about for the short term. The merger process will likely take 12-15 months for approval (so they say here)...and even after it's approved it'll probably 6-12 months for the merger to complete from a technical standpoint.

That point is a LONG ways off.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 4Matic
Both XM and Sirius have already stated that any of the equipment they've sold will continue to work after the merger. You can actually listen to the statements made during the XM and Sirius earnings calls earlier this week.

The merger is not expected to close until the end of 2007.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Don't forget thet satellites are already up there & will work till they die. On the other hand, XM sold one of its satellites then leased time on it to broadcast on shortly before the merger was announced to raise money. I think we will all be out of these cars before the satellites & receivers in the trunks will be obsoleted.

Its going tio get simpler and better for users not the other way around.