Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

mikbox problem (the telephone is being activated please wait)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry mikbox problem (the telephone is being activated please wait)

Hi all,

I just installed a mikbox in my 2001 S500 following the instruction from MIKBOX. After the installation is complete my phone does not get activated at all.

When I plug the phone in the cradle and I switch the command unit on I get the following message:

(the telephone is being activated please wait)...
The above message stay there forever.

The phone in the cradle getting power and as a mater of fact it gets charge. The CD changer, Voice command all works.

This tell me that my connection is OK but I am wondering what could be the problem.

The PSE, phone, MIKBOX areall the correct part!

I really appreciate your help @!

Best Regards,
mzelbash
Old 02-22-2007, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
In my experience with an older MikBox, the unit took some time to initialize the first time. One contributor reported very recently that he had a similar experience to yours, left the car off overnight, and everything worked fine the next day.

If the problem continues, e-mail MIK.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply.
How I do that? I mean leave the car head unit on all night! Do you think if I buy a new mikbox that is going to work right away.
Also I ordered a USB cable so I can upgrade to the newest firmware. Do you think this might help@

I already sent an email to MIK (last week) and I am still waiting for a reply.

Again I would like to thank you for your reply.

Best Regards,
mzelbash
Old 02-24-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
When I had Mikbox couple of years ago I had the similar problem initially. From what I can remember, I had to reprogram the Mikbox for the problem to go away. The code is in the instruction that came with the Mikbox. I don't recall the detail or which code since I did that in 2005. Good luck. I like the Mikbox quite a bit but it was replaced by the Mercedes BT system.

John
Old 02-25-2007, 03:36 AM

thanks John,
The problem is that any interaction between the phone and the mikbox does not exist. That what I am guessing...! I tried to use the mikbox diagnostic procedure to try to get more info about the mikbox

*123456#
*version#
*stversion#
etc
etc

but that did not get me anywhere.! no information from these command. The phone dial them and then disconnect right away! I guess it says "not available"

I just bough a usb/rj48 cable from mik and I will try to upgrade the firmware and see if that can help!
but in the meanwhile if you remembered what you did to make the mik working I will be very happy to try it too~

By the way is there is any other solution other than the MIKbox!

best regards
mzelbash
Old 02-25-2007, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I always found MIK to be very helpful, but he used to travel out of the country occsasionally, and may still - that was the only reason for any delay in response.

As for leaving the car overnight, I do not believe it was left on. What the contributor may have been trying to get at was that the length of time everything was off forced the COMAND and phone system to reset (re-intialize), and when it did, the MikBox cycled in and things worked well.

I also had a problem similar to yours that was caused by a loose connection at the base of the cradle. Some folks reported a similar problem and cleared it by cleaning junk (lint, etc) out of the phone's connectors.

As to over-the-air updates, Verizon had crippled my V710 so that it could not be used as a modem - and while folks were able to do the OTA updates on V710s from other service providers, I never could. The computer cable worked.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-25-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Thanks Skylaw, and everyone for your contributions.
I will try some of these tricks and wait for Mik to reply. If none work I will go ahead and order a new MIKBOX if the MIKbox is the problem!

I will keep the Forums update...@

thanks..
Old 02-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by mzelbash
Thanks Skylaw, and everyone for your contributions.
I will try some of these tricks and wait for Mik to reply. If none work I will go ahead and order a new MIKBOX if the MIKbox is the problem!

I will keep the Forums update...@

thanks..
Ever thought of going bluetooth? You already have the phone system, so all you need is a new PSE(only if your older phone was a Timeport), V60 cradle(if not already equipped) and the bluetooth module/puck. I had Mikbox for at least 6 months and switched to the MB bluetooth once it became available in mid-2006. However, I had a very good experience with Mikbox, and when I had issue he responded immediately via email and solve my issue right away. Good luck.

John
Old 02-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Hi All,

I got the usb cable and I was able to update the MIKBOX but still I am getting the message "The telephone is being activated, please wait"

here is the output from the firmware update:

Opening serial port...
Looking for Mikbox...
Mikbox SN# 1097-226-7
Previous Firmware: V2.11
PSE Type: V60
Switching Mikbox to Flash Update Mode
Responding to Mikbox...
Responding to Mikbox...
Querying Version Information...
Mikbox SN# 1097-226-7
Previous Firmware: V2.11
PSE Type: V60
Starting data transfer
upload completed, rebooting Mikbox...
DONE.

I am really frustrated.

The above means the mikbox is OK , the connection is OK, then what is wrong!

I tried Mute-1-3 and reset the hardware, but that did not help!

Help help help!

Mzelbash
Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Time to contact MIK, as recommended.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 PM

this is interesting. i installed a v600 phone and mikbox in a e320 wagon about two wks ago and have the same problem. i sent an email to mik on feb 13 and have had no reply. i sent a reminder today. however i did discover that if you manually turn the phone on, the system activates in a minuite or two and everything works fine except when you shut down the phone does not shut down and you have to do this manually also so that's how i'm operating til i get a fix. if you get an answer, please let me know.
rob hess
Old 02-28-2007, 08:10 PM

I have the same problem

Did you purchase the Mikbox new or used? The reason I ask, is that I had a functional Mikbox that wouldn't download my phonebook. In and attempt to remedy this, I tried to upload the newest firmware over the air, and disconnected the connection prematurely. Now, I get the same error message you are currently recieving. Theres a possibility you may have bought a Mikbox that is still trying to update, since you say the PSE no. is good. My USB cable should arrive tomorrow, so I should be up and running within the next coupld days. In closing, do you have the appropriate Mikbox cradle?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 PM

Angry

yes I bought the mikbox used. But I downloaded and install the firmware and that went OK. I bought the usb cable from mikbox.com and I thought that if there was a problem with the mikbox, the firmware will clear it...but that did not work.

also when I plug the phone in the cradle, (before the command unit is power on) it does not matter if the phone is on or off or the flip is on or off, the same message shows up "the telephone is being activated, please wait".

If I plug the phone in the cradle and the command unit is already on the mesage "Telephone not connected" is the one that shows all the time.

Best regards,
mzelbash
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 AM

i bought the mikbox and cradle plus cables new and therefore expected as advertised. not quite yet.
rob hess
Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 AM

when you powered down did you take the key out of the ignicion?
rob
Old 03-01-2007, 12:57 AM

Hi Rob,

Yes everytime I do that. I tried to rest the whole system by taking the key out and power off everything!
I just wanna know, the first time you installed the mikbox, what are the sequence of the message
I mean is the "the telephone is being activated, please wait" is it the first message and what is the next one!
I am just trying to figure out if this is a mikbox problem or a MB command problem.

Best Regards,
mzelbash
Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM

there are only two message screens that i get. the please wait and something like" error no phone present" when the phone is out of the cradle. the only other screen in the tel mode is the active tel screen that i get after manually powering the phone on.
i seems to me that i'm missing only the command that turns the phone on and off but that command was present and worked with old phone, a timeport, so i'm guessing that it's a mikbox problem.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 PM

more intrigue: when i started this project i bought a v600 and had it put on a prepaid basis as a test phone, i had heard that if you migrated a tdma acct. that they would never reinstate. today i decided i could live with the manual activation to get all the other functions so i went to att/cingular and said ok migrate these tel nos to these phones, a v600 and av620. after a hour of discussion, telephone calls etc. it still could not be done because some computer entry was blocking this migration. they say they will fix this in 5 days---so maybe you don't have a valid transition. just another thing to look at.
rob
Old 03-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Smile

I contacted Mik and He replied. We are going to try a new phone cable.
Man!! this guy is so helpful. I am so happy to deal with a company like MIK. If I have the option I will replace the Mercedes B CEO with him!

I will update you as soon as I tried the new phone cable!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mzelbash
I contacted Mik and He replied. We are going to try a new phone cable.
Man!! this guy is so helpful. I am so happy to deal with a company like MIK. If I have the option I will replace the Mercedes B CEO with him!

I will update you as soon as I tried the new phone cable!
I'm not trying to say "told you so" - MIK is really great. Supports his product superbly.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Smile

Finally, my phone worked.
After getting this wenderful help from Mik my phone is working@

he sent me a new phone cable@
And I also reupdated the firmware again (same version).

I am telling you guys. Mik is a wonderful guy. I believe I will be his customer forever@

Million Thanks MIK@