Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sirius Radio installed in C-Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 320 Diamon Silver/Ash
Sirius Radio installed in C-Coupe

I finally did it! I installed Sirius Satellite Radio in my 2002 C-Coupe. I have only the factory cassette radio without COMAND, and the Bose option. Didn't want to wait for a MB replacement head unit that includes satellite radio.

All of the parts: Kenwood KTC-SR901 Sirius Satellite Radio tuner, Kenwood KCA-R70FM display unit and FM modulator, Terk SR20S antenna. Display includes a remote control.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:09 PM
Almost a Member!

The compartment at the rear left where the first aid kit has power and room for the tuner.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Almost a Member!

That is the tuner module. Using connector for trailer lights I brought out a ground and ignition positive.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Almost a Member!

I could mount the tuner module using two sets of bolts from the trunk/hatchback. The blue cable is fished to the front center console.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Aluminum foil makes a ground plane for the antenna. The thin black and brown wires are from the antenna to the tuner, now hidden behind the panel.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:12 PM
Almost a Member!

The antenna is glued to the removable panel above the trunk and under the hatchback. There are a few dropouts, but because I have the Panorama moonroof I can't place the antenna on the roof.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Searching the forums I discovered how to remove the center console panel, then release the factory head unit and empty compartment below the head unit. Here you can see the test setup. There is a powered antenna converter between the FM modulator and the head unit and well as a converter between the FM radio antenna lead and the FM modulator. I powered the display and FM modulator from the cigarette lighter (for the ground and ignition lead, and found a lead always on behind the head unit.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Focus on the antenna connectors. You can see a power drop off (red) to power the antenna converter.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Placed text "FM modulator" so you can see it fits behind the empty compartment below the head unit. The blue cable coiled above goes from the FM modulator, across and above the steering wheel to the left of the car. Then it runs hidden under the door and under the back seat, to the digital satellite tuner.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Almost a Member!

The empty compartment is filled with a block of styrofoam to present the display right under the factory head unit. It isn't as solid as I would like so I may be making something more substantial.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Lightbulb

Looks pretty good there. Wish it wasn't so bright, especially in the nighttime where the LCD is backlit.

Reception is good, sound is as good as FM can be! Regular FM and AM continue to work but I only tried them to be able to tell you they work. Can't stand the 20 minutes of commercials on FM these days!

dode
Old 09-24-2002, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Nice thread and install dode. Glad to see someone finally made this happen.

I've been thinking about getting an FM modulated XM setup. Tell me why you chose Sirius over XM.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:33 AM
Almost a Member!

I've been so fed up with 20 - 30 minutes of commercials and the "personality" DJ's on commercial FM that I listen to Internet Radio at work and home all day, or my collection of CD's.

Late spring I found that Sirius Radio was streaming many channels on the internet. It became one of the sites I'd listen to all day. I looked because MB had announced that eventually they would have head units capable of receiving Sirius stations.

It's been only two weeks with the Sirius. Music IS commercial-free and those on the talk and news stations aren't too frequent, usually about other channels on Sirius.

I personally like their "The Vault", deeper cuts of classic rock, and their Classic Rock channel.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:44 AM
Almost a Member!

I found that my installation of the display using styofoam made the unit unstable as I pressed the buttons, duh!

So, I fooled around with the included faceplate and got it to force fit into the lower bin. Looks OK as you can see and it is very stable.

Nightime, though, the display is too strong. I wish I could lower the illumnation level and/or change it to the matching orange color.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:50 AM
Almost a Member!

After another few weeks I've had days where the dropouts forced me back to FM radio!!! gaah!

I have experimented with Terk Antenna placement, all under the hatchback. Remember I made a foil groundplane under the privacy shelf. Started with centered, then moved to the back, then realized that I could try it closer to the glass and elevated the mounting. Moved elevated back to center.

None were better.

I browsed the Sirius forums and found that foliage (I'm in New England) and wet leaves attenuate the signal. When I went to the highway I found there were no dropouts not caused by overpasses.

So, I'm back to the centered, against the privacy shelf. Leaves will fall soon and I can take the back roads without dropouts, I suppose.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I have found that when driving through the city with my wifes Saturn with the Sirrius Terk mounted on the roof that I get dropouts. It is no biggie as it is still better then listening to those stupid commercials. I am hoping that when I order my coupe I will be able to get the Sirrius radio installed from the factory, but MB has no info available as to when they will include that functionality with there cars. They have signed with Sirrius as far as I know, it is on Sirrius' site at least. Hopefully they will have this as an option soon.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering that MB is still installing cassette players as standard equipment, you can expect MB to include a Sirius radio as an option in about 15 years.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is true Lynn, I was at least hoping for an external addition maybe into the aux port on the Bose system. But I doubt it. I know the Clarion reciever unit my wife has, has a RCA out to connect to the tuner if the tuner has that ability, and I have heard somewhere that there is an Aux port on the Bose systems. I just really would like the antenna to be pre-installed or the antenna for the Tele-Aid to be adapted to Sat. radio so you could just use that one.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no AUX port on Bose systems. The AUX port is only available with COMAND. I am considering XM with an FM modulator.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I guess I will have to get an FM Modulated on then. Oh well, it would be nice all integrated, but oh well. I am ordering the Bose system for the better sound and because I want to keep the steering wheel controls, or else I would put my old Clarion Head in the new car. Probably do it later after I get bored with the steering wheel controls anyhow. But I am planning on finding a way to tweak the Bose amp or replace the unit all together. Maybe have to fabricate some custom plugs to replace it and keep the factory wiring harness intact. Will let you all know when I actually order the car and get it. Won't be until February when I actually get it, maybe sooner, all depends on how much the job offer I am waiting on is for and when I get my stock check from my current employer.