Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help install cd changer W203 ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a Merc
Help install cd changer W203 ??

Hi all, anyone can help me installing mounted glove box cd changer for my C class W203 ? Anyone with step by step instruction? B4chow?
Thanks a lot.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:50 PM

glove box

why do you want it in the glove box.. where you going to put the stuff thats in the glove box now...
Old 10-02-2002, 04:51 PM

a Merc
So it's easy for me to change cds
Old 10-02-2002, 07:41 PM

Changer

Then why not have 10x CD/DVD/CDR unit in the boot/trunk and get an extra loaded rack, and use the single CD slot in the header unit as well.

Giving up the glove box is a big mistake...
Old 10-06-2002, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
why do you want it in the glove box..
Umm... because if he's referring to the MB CD changer, that's where it is supposed to go! The wiring harness to hook up the head unit to the MB changer is long enough to reach in the glove box. He will also need to pick up a optical cable from his MB dealer (or the place he bought the CD changer from). Autoclass.net sells the changer for around $400. It's very easy to install. Find the instructions by searching over at the W203 forum.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Here are the instructions....
You'll need a #20 torx bit screwdriver and a long small bladed flat blade screwdriver. Go to your dealer and buy the $20 D2B optical cable (about 2' long). DON'T unplug the battery. Open the ashtray about halfway and shine a light (small flashlight) along the gap along the top of the ashtray door. You'll see 1 silver clip on each side holding the bottom of the center console cover in place. The clips are hinged in front and should be pulled down at their rear attachment point. Use the long thin flat bladed screwdriver for this. Now go up to the center air vents. Along the middle/left of each vent you'll see two small plastic pieces, one above the other separated by a vent slot or two. Rotate both vents so they point as high as possible. Use the thin screwdriver to carefully push the upper thin plastic clip to the right. This will allow the vent to rotate another 1/2" or so, creating a 1/4" gap along its bottom. Repeat on the other vent. Shine a light in the gap and you'll see a single torx bit screw on each bottom corner of the vent housing. Remove these (close the air vent with the thumbwheels to keep the screws from disappearing forever!). Now rotate the vents down. You'll need to push the lower plastic pins to the right to allow the vent to continue rotating down again creating a gap along the top of the vent and vent housing. There are two black plastic clips along the top corner of each side of the vent housing. You should pry down on each clip while pulling the vent housing out. You may have to go back and forth between each side as the clips have lots of "teeth" that will get hung up on the clip's attachment point. Once the vent is removed, the center console cover should come right off. You can unplug the wires going to the buttons on the console if you choose. I only unplugged a single connector along the top of mine which allowed me to twist the console cover and lay it flat on its face over the lower console. Remove two torx bit screws holding the radio/storage bin in place. Pull out the radio. The low storage bin will probably fall off. It will only stay in place with the radio installed. You'll see two orange cables attached to the back of the radio via an L shaped black plug. Depress a pressure lock on the plug and pull straight out. Take one of the plastic covers off of your new 2' long cable and place it over the old cable and then tuck the old cable away behind the radio somewhere. You should find the power/ground wire that goes to the changer tucked away behind the radio somewhere. It will have a small black plug on it. Open the glovebox. There is an approx. 1"x2" perforated knock-out on the left side of the upper part of the glovebox. I used an Exacto knife to cut away the small pieces of plastic along the preforation holding the knock-out in place. I thin used somepliers to twist it until it came out. Once it's out, slide the power/ground wire for the changer up through the hole in the glovebox. Now, I didn't spend $40 on the installation bracket. I used two large pieces of velcro to hold my changer in place (it fits VERY tightly!). I attached to large pieces of velcro on the bottom of the changer. I then put the changer in the glovebox, sliding it as far to the left as possible. I marked where the lower pieces of velcro should go on the glovebox shelf. I then attached the lower pieces of velcro to the shelf. The changer fits so tight, you will need to place a piece of paper between the upper and lower pieces of velcro when sliding the changer in place or else the pieces will grab each other and you'll never get it in, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Attach your new optical D2B cable to the back of the changer and run the cables through the circular bracket. Also plug in the power/ground cable. Run the orange optical cable from the changer through the knock-out hole and into the area behind the radio. Plug the cable up to the back of the radio. At this point I'd turn on the stereo and test of the changer to see that it works. Using the paper-between-the-velcro trick, slide the changer in place without crimping any wires. Once the changer is in its final location slide the paper out. Your changer should be locked in place by the velcro. Now install the radio and console in reverse order. Enjoy your new tunes!!!!!
Old 10-06-2002, 11:34 PM

a Merc
Wow.. thanks a lot Jim, I really aprreciate it.. I'll try it this weekend.