Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

upgrading startac to bluetooth (2000 w202)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 sport
upgrading startac to bluetooth (2000 w202)

Did anyone ever make a bluetooth adapter for the startac dock? If not, what is the CHEAPEST way to upgrade to bluetooth (as in, by not changing the PSE)?

I was looking to find a female startac to female USB adapter and getting any USB bluetooth adapter...but female startac is a problem. if i could do this, would it work?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by tex07
Did anyone ever make a bluetooth adapter for the startac dock? If not, what is the CHEAPEST way to upgrade to bluetooth (as in, by not changing the PSE)?

I was looking to find a female startac to female USB adapter and getting any USB bluetooth adapter...but female startac is a problem. if i could do this, would it work?
You cannot do it without changing the PSE. The upgrade path is to V60 PSE and compatible V60 cradle; alternatively you could explore the Argos unit, if you are satisfied with non-MB equipment.

For the V60 path, see post #5 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...-free-sys.html

Your simple switch to USB BT input from phone to the cradle plug won't work.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 AM

2000 C230 sport
would having a mikbox be a good workaround for not upgrading the PSE (too expensive)? could i then get the old 2004 year v60 cradle, connect mikbox to it, and buy the bluetooth unit from www.wireless4mb.com ?

or can i buy any generic bluetooth unit?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No. Try a little searching on the forum - these questions have been answered. The MikBox is an excellent solution, but for plug-in phones only, principally Motorola. It cannot be used as a Bluetooth device.

if you want Bluetooth that integrates with your car properly, you're going to have to pay for it - you can reduce costs on MB equipment by going to e-bay, but I invite you to check for recent posts - even within the past week - on what you'll need. You're not driving a generic car, so generic solutions will usually take you up a blind alley after considerable cost. I gave you the name of the Argos unit - but it has limitations I invite you to research. They may or may not be important to you.

See the advice to Benltc at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...-cradle-3.html and follow the course I sketched out for him for the V60 upgrade path. Pay particular attention to the fact that not all MB V60 cradle kits fit all MB cars or MB PSEs. A cradle from an '04 E-Class or S-Class will work only with the PSE for those cars - the connector is different from the preceding years and some other models of the same year, as well as subsequent years; so is the PSE. The cradle must be able to work with the PSE and be fitted to your car - and aftermarket V60 cradles are NOT MB cradles. You may be able to use them (modified) with a MikBox, but not with MB Bluetooth.

I suggest to you that Bluetooth may not be the best option in all cases, but it can be excellent in some.

My MHI system (you have an older system) does not display all names in the phone book if I enter them into the voice dialing instructions in the Voice Control system. I can voice dial the names if I do, but cannot see or scroll through them on COMAND or the multifunction display (instrument cluster). I suspect, but have not confirmed, that the V60 puck works similarly. This is a limitation that does not suit my particular needs. It may not matter to others.

On the other hand, Bluetooth lets me upgrade phones more easily, and is convenient because it doesn't have to be mounted in a cradle. It lets me carry the phone I want, rather than the bulkier plug-in I have. On the other hand, unless you live in a strong signal area, you can lose some connectivity because it uses the cell phone's antenna vice the car's.

Many of these things may not be of concern to you - it is a matter of fitting your needs.

And believe me, if there were a cheap workaround, the forums would be flooded with it. Very bright people have dealt with MB Bluetooth retrofit issues for over two years (and also the need to upgrade plug-in phones like the StarTac that service providers will no longer accept). The alternatives are clear for a system that integrates well: 1) MikBox to update to a more modern plug-in phone, which is relatively inexpensive (also uses your existing PSE and an aftermarket cradle that can be upgraded; MIK supplies it with proper connectors for your car - but it is NOT Bluetooth); 2) the MB V60 upgrade path, expensive with new parts, especially if dealer-installed - but ebay parts become available if you're patient or know to contact frequent e-bay sellers directly to see if they have them; or 3) something like the Argos unit, which itself contains an independent PSE, and is fairly expensive.

Other than that, you can shop for some generic system - it will be a hack, and won't integrate with your car (just as the aftermarket wired "hands free" kits didn't). My recommendation is to stay away from them, or they can actually decrease resale value.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-19-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM

2000 C230 sport
yeah i used the search function...found the mikbox to be created by a mbworld forums user and it is only (basically) for motorola phones that are P2K (as in, razr or previous)

as a blackberry user, im looking to get the argos.... the MB bluetooth seems too limiting. i found the instruction set on how to install the v60 PSE...upgrading to v60 is WAYYY expensive though:

http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phon...Sedan%2000.pdf

Last edited by tex07; 03-20-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tex07
yeah i used the search function...found the mikbox to be created by a mbworld forums user and it is only (basically) for motorola phones that are P2K (as in, razr or previous)

as a blackberry user, im looking to get the argos.... the MB bluetooth seems too limiting. i found the instruction set on how to install the v60 PSE...upgrading to v60 is WAYYY expensive though:

http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phon...Sedan%2000.pdf
Some Blackberries are on the AWS "approved" list, and should work with the MB BT puck. But, you're right - the implementation may not give you all you want. Neither may the Argos - I believe there are integration matters with the steering wheel controls.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
Follow Skylaw on any of these wireless questions, he is most knowledgeable and articulate poster on this site/topic.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Originally Posted by mbnj
Follow Skylaw on any of these wireless questions, he is most knowledgeable and articulate poster on this site/topic.
Ditto mbnj.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM

2000 C230 sport
are there any mercedes GSM startacs? i know that GSM startacs exist....could i flash mercedes software on them?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tex07,

I don't know of any MB-branded GSM StarTacs. GSM StarTacs did exist, but I am aware of only one service provider that used them in the U.S. (Powertel). The European version was single-band only, and would have little use if put into service today.

By your question, you seem already aware that not having the MB firmware will result in the car's system shutting your handset off.

You don't say where you live - but unless a phone is e911 capable (allowing one's position to be located when making a 911 call), carriers will not permit the phone to be activated on their system in the U.S. Canada does not have that requirement, at least not yet. I do not believe that any StarTac was e911 capable; in fact, even the successors (TimePort and V60 series up until the V60S) were not. And the V60S is a CDMA phone.

And obtaining the MB firmware could be a bit of a trick. It was proprietary to MB, contributing to the high cost of MB-branded phones because of low sales volume. It was written for each carrier. I don't have much confidence that it could be hacked into a GSM StarTac - but I don't know for sure.

You're better off with the upgrade to an Autosense PSE, V60S cradle, and MB V60 puck, as discussed above and in another of your posts.