Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Problem: APS 30 installed in W210 turns off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 W210 220 CDi Wagon
Problem: APS 30 installed in W210 turns off?

Hi,
I just installed an APS30 in my 2002 E-class wagon but it's not working quite right. Anyone recognize what's going on here:

It works fine with the ignition off, but turns off when I start cranking the engine.

If the engine is already running, it can't be turned on until ~45 seconds after key-off.

If it's on and I take the key to the run position (#2) without cranking it, it continues to work without turning off.

I've noticed when the unit's off, and the parking lights are on, the unit's "on" button illumination goes out a few seconds after starting the engine.

So any known cure?
If not, any ideas of further tests/resets/measurements that's be useful?
Thanks,
Rod
Old 04-16-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
I don't know that headunit, but those symptoms sound like wires are connected to the wrong places. It sounds like some things are just backward. Maybe the unit is not compatible with the W210. More specifically, since W210 controls many headunit features over CANBUS, maybe your new unit is just slightly incompatible or reading the CANBUS signals wrong.

You could try to find the pinouts of the new unit, then make a wiring harness to give it the right signals. ie: get switched 12V and headlight sense from the cigarette lighter since the CANBUS isn't providing them correctly. The Metra #70-1784 "VW" harness fits the wiring harness coming out of the W210 (at least on my 2002 it does).
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Rod,

It appears your APS is not getting CAN signals. Turn on the headlamps and check and see if the buttons illuminate. If not, then that will have to be corrected. The CAN wires are a twisted pair. Brown and brown/red.