Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Navigation: Any way to enter intermediate destinations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E320 CDI
Navigation: Any way to enter intermediate destinations?

Hi all,

I plan to take a 350 mile trip soon. I'd like to pass through a couple intermediate destinations that aren't along the default route the navigation system generates. Is there any way to enter such intermediate destinations? I've read the manual carefully and I think I've looked at every option on the COMAND display, but I can't figure it out if it's possible.

The Lexus nav system allows this and so does the Garmin I use on my motorcycle. It seems like a pretty standard thing to expect a nav system to do.

Thanks for any help,

Ed
Old 05-04-2007, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Check your instruction manual for the "Via" feature. It allows you to route through alternate cities and towns, and is availabe on my '05 S500 Nav. I do not know how many "Via" entries can be made on a single route, but at least one can be.

You might also check your route settings and minimize restrictions (such as excluding toll roads, ferries, or limiting to interstates) so that the system will maximize your route options.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-04-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 PM

06 E320 CDI
No "Via" feature found

Hi Skylaw,

Thanks for your response.

I may be looking in the wrong spot, but there is no "via" feature on my system. I've read the Navigation section of the COMAND manual three times. The closest function I can find is "stop over", where you get to enter a single intermediate destination. When you reach the stop over, the system calculates the route from there to the final destination (It doesn't display the route all the way to the final destination from your origin, only to the stop over). You can only enter one stop over at a time. Thus if you want to make multiple stops, say if you were driving from Chicago to Los Angeles and wanted to stop at various points along the way and route through those points, you can enter the "next" stop over only after you've reached the "current" one. I really hope I've got this wrong. Otherwise, the system is not very useful for long-distance navigation.

Also, all of my route settings are "off"; i.e., don't avoid anything. The system calculates one route to the destination and that's it. No choice.

I'm probably just not getting this. I'd appreciate any additional help.

Thanks, Ed
Old 05-05-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
in my GL there is a stopover option on navigation, but i know our COMANDs are different (mine being MCSII)...just a thought, but have you tried contacting the teleaid center while in the car? slight chance of getting an intelligent person...good luck.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
You should have the stopover function (my '04 does) - that will work for POIs and manual entry.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 AM

06 E320 CDI
Hi all,

Thanks for the support.

I do have the stopover option, but you can only have one stopover "active" at a time on my system. That renders the system clumsy to use if the whole point is to navigate over a long distance through several "points of interest". If it's possible to enter multiple stopovers, then I'm just not getting it, and I need more help. I tried last night and figured out how to enter one, but if you press "STP-OVR" soft key again, it asks you if you want to delete the current one or replace it with a new one. No option to add an additional one.

On the Tele-Aid option: I just made the decision to discontinue the service! It became inactive on 4/30/07. I hadn't used it one time in a year. Shucks!

Ed
Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
dfwe- I don't have access to your '06 manual - but the '05 COMAND manual for the E-Class confirms what you have described. Your only option for multiple stopovers is to enter a second one after you have reached the first, and so on. Your final destination doesn't show until you have reached the stopover - all just as you said.