Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Stereo audio pulsing on and off -help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK55 AMG
Unhappy Stereo audio pulsing on and off -help!

I have my factory in-car cell phone unplugged due to it draining my battery when it's plugged in. However, the other day when I was playing the radio I noticed the phone icon on the LED screen of the head unit. I had just got it back from the mechanic and thought maybe someone had reconnected it (plugged it back in). I lifted up the hatch where the phone resides and noticed that it was not plugged in, but in my concern that somehow the phone cradle was somehow connected I started pressing the roadside assistance and information buttons in an attempt to get the phone icon to go away from my stereo screen. When that didn't work I (and I think this was my fatal mistake) plugged the phone back and in pressed the roadside assistance and information buttons again (mind you, I've never had the phone connected since I've owned this car so I really didn't know what these buttons were for at the time). The phone then attempted to make the calls I had just initiated, interrupting the radio while I heard a recording informing me that I had no phone service (which I've never had with this car). I tried hanging up the phone by pushing various buttons on the head unit and the steering wheel to no avail. Finally the call ended and then I discovered that the radio no longer played without the audio going in and out in 2-3 second intervals. The tape player worked but with the same audio "pulsing". The CD player is recognized but a few seconds after I choose it it switches back to the radio. I took it back to the mechanic (mind you it was all working even after I picked it up -the telephone fiasco is somehow related to this problem) and he disconnected it and re-plugged it in to try to re-set it. No luck. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
For one thing, some information on the model and year of your car, and whether it is U.S. or European or Asian specifications; and a bit about what audio system you have - would be helpful. Sometimes contributors are pretty good at answering questions on the forum, but we're not mind readers.

Second, if you have an owner's manual, read it. You'll discover all kinds of things that would otherwise be mystifying - like what those "roadside assistance" buttons you activated really do. You'd learn they are for your Tele-Aid, a separate phone system from your cell phone, that requires a subscription service. They have nothing to do with your cell phone.

Third, re-read your question. It doesn't track. " I have my factory in-car cell phone unplugged due to it draining my battery when it's plugged in....mind you, I've never had the phone connected since I've owned this car so I really didn't know what these buttons were for at the time."

Fourth, you'd probably learn the proper functions of the buttons you pushed, and perhaps figure out what you did wrong - and be able to correct it with some knowledge and forethought, rather than random button pushing.

I (or someone more knowledgable) may be able to offer more, if you'll tell us a bit more about your car.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-25-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK55 AMG
Thanks, sorry for the lack of info. I really appreciate the time you took to respond, even if you knew you couldn't help. I have a 2001 CLK55 with a Bose system. After a few days, the car reset itself. I have no other explanation. I had an appointment set with my mechanic and I cancelled it. He said, "I don't make any money when the car fixes itself". Hey, I'll take it. By the way what I meant about the phone never being connected was that I had never subscribed for service. The actual wire that connects to the cell phone was connected until my mechanic discovered that the cell phone was draining the battery. Again, thanks for the other info and sorry for the trouble.