Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

FM tuner driving me nuts. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FM tuner driving me nuts. HELP!!

I have a 04 E-320. Installed a FM Modulated Pioneer XM tuner and I'm having troubles. I used antenna adaptors at the tuner pack at the left rear of the trunk. The FM on the head unit works fine but no matter what frequency I set the XM FM modulator it sounds as if the tuner is off frequency. I know that some German cars have amplified antennas but didn’t think that MB did. Any ideas would be helpful. Didn't really want Sirius (not willing to give the dealer $1000 bucks. I’ve had XM for years and why pay the extra for Sirius.
Thanks for the help
Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I don't know that I can solve your problem entirely, but MB does use linear amplifiers in the radio antenna circuitry. In my '00 and '05 S500s they are in a bar behind the headliner and in front of the rear window. I don't know the physical layout of the E-Class, but I'd be surprised if some sort of amp is not present in the antenna system.

Further, your satellite radio uses its own antenna, unless you have fitted the car with what is often described as a "tri-band" antenna. I assume that you installed the XM satellite antenna separately, and are only discussing an FM modulator to feed input to your existing head unit.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks and yes I'm using a XM antenna