Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), Radio Frequency change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 4matic
Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), Radio Frequency change

I have just bought a Japanese spec C240. The car is from 2004 (pre-facelift) and it is in a really good condition and I am intending to take it back to Europe when I leave Japan. It has Comand 2.0 to my understanding (see picture). I don't care about TV and Navi but I would really like to get the radio modified to European FM frequencies. I have read from some forums that this Japanese spec Comand is manufactured by Panasonic. I also have a CD changer in the glove box as well as AUX IN.

Does anyone know any "secret codes" how to hack the radio to European frequency? Can it be done by hacking the Comand?

If the only option is to change the Comand to a European spec, then I will probably throw away this Japanese spec Comand and buy an aftermarket radio from Pioneer which has an iPod link. I don't like this option because the car has very low mileage and it is practically like new. The aftermarket radio will never look like the original OEM one. I would be happy with FM radio and current CD changer and I could live without iPod link. However, if it is not possible to change the FM frequency band, I do not want to spend money on European spec Comand and iPod kit. I will then rather buy a Pioneer with iPod link integrated in it (and suffer with the looks). It is a second hand car afterall and another Comand would cost fortunes. Does anyone have experience in getting an aftermarket stereo installed and maintaining steering wheel controls (at least volume but frequency / radio station would also be nice).

The car has also a cable next to the Comand on the passenger's side (see picture). Does anyone know is this for a phone and what would it take to install a "European" GSM/3G phone, or is it for Japanese phone only? But again, if it is not possible to get the FM frequency band adjusted, I will go for a Pioneer and forget about other gadgets.
Attached Thumbnails Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), Radio Frequency change-japan-comand.jpg   Japanese Spec Comand on W203 (C240), Radio Frequency change-cable.jpg