Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

E Class Ipod Kit Idea to retain Auxiliary input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class Ipod Kit Idea to retain Auxiliary input

How does the aux button work when the Ipod kit is installed in a 03 plus E class?

I know that the Ipod kit is supposed to take the place of the aux input, but I'm wondering whether it would be possible for me to build a little switch box for the input between the Ipod kit and the aux connection on the back of the COMAND head unit.

Does the Aux soft button still work on the headunit, bringing up the Ipod? Or is it gone? or greyed? or inactive?

Has anyone tried to re-connect the aux input jack to the back of the COMAND when the Ipod kit is installed to see whether it still works?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by DrBob
Has anyone tried to re-connect the aux input jack to the back of the COMAND when the Ipod kit is installed to see whether it still works?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
yeah, this was done by a dude with a cls55 here. From what i understand, the CLS and E are identical in these respects.

With ipod cable unplugged from the comand unit, and the aux cable back in, the ipod can still be controlled by the steering wheel controls and the information is displayed in the instrument cluster, but the sound is send out through the 3.5" jack on top of the ipod. The result is louder sound, and the possibility to disconnect the dock connector, and have your passenger play DJ. This also leaves the flexibility to use the AUX input jack in your glove compartment for other stuff...

A switch would be sort of pointless, unless you dont like the look of having 2 cables plugged into your ipod, OR the sound quality is inferior using the 3.5" jack. I havent tried...

Hope this helps//Richard
Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by DrBob
How does the aux button work when the Ipod kit is installed in a 03 plus E class?

I know that the Ipod kit is supposed to take the place of the aux input, but I'm wondering whether it would be possible for me to build a little switch box for the input between the Ipod kit and the aux connection on the back of the COMAND head unit.

Does the Aux soft button still work on the headunit, bringing up the Ipod? Or is it gone? or greyed? or inactive?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Actually Bob, there is not really any reason to even connect that AUX portion of the IpOD Kit when doing the installation. YOu can just leave it intact and connect your IPoD to the Aux as normal and use the interface connection on the bottom for the steering controls, charging, etc..
This way, if you want to use another device just disconnect the Ipod and use the aux for whatever you want.

To specifically answer your question, the soft key has no actual relation to the kit itself from a logic standpoint.

if you search the onter forum, I posted a thread about this method of hooking upi the ipoD because is solves the reduced volume issue and actually sounds much better that following the kit installation instructions to the letter.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by my06clk
Actually Bob, there is not really any reason to even connect that AUX portion of the IpOD Kit when doing the installation. YOu can just leave it intact and connect your IPoD to the Aux as normal and use the interface connection on the bottom for the steering controls, charging, etc..
This way, if you want to use another device just disconnect the Ipod and use the aux for whatever you want.
so... what i said then?

I just performed the operation on my car... it took me less than an hour and it works brilliantly. It works exactly the same as it did before, except you now need a 3.5" cable connecting the ipod as well.

The sound is now better, and i can connect anything else i want to the aux. Follow the instructions in the linky that i posted...