Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

06 C230 prewired for phone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I just read this whole thread before I realized it was a resurrection. Hit the TEL button if it says no phone installed it means you do not have a kit if it says insert phone you have one. It is VERY rare for a C-Class to have a full phone kit. My C55 didn't even have it.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
My '06 was pre-wired but I couldn't find anything on the data card saying that it was. To confirm remove the bottom piece on the top center console lid and look for two blank connectors. If they're there then it's pre-wired which i'm told '06s are.

There's a factory iPod kit available that gives you steering wheel controls. I know it works on the Command head unit but I think it also does on the normal HU. It replaces the Aux jack in the glove box.

Last edited by lkfoster; 01-30-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added iPod bit
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey JonMBZ, thanks! I'll take a peek. -Chad
Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by lkfoster
My '06 was pre-wired but I couldn't find anything on the data card saying that it was. To confirm remove the bottom piece on the top center console lid and look for two blank connectors. If they're there then it's pre-wired which i'm told '06s are.

There's a factory iPod kit available that gives you steering wheel controls. I know it works on the Command head unit but I think it also does on the normal HU. It replaces the Aux jack in the glove box.
Thanks! I'll check that out too. I'm thinking about that Nav unit from CarTronics too.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:15 AM

2006 C230 Sport
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to this. Here's my thing. I just bought my 2006 c230 sport. It's a wonderful car and beautiful as a 1st date! I would like a phone and an AUX hookup for it's radio. It says it's pre-wired for a phone. The radio and steering have phone controls on them. They have the word AUX in the radio too. I called parts at the dealer. They are clueless. I even offered to give them my vin#. They said they dont need it. Just come on down and pay lots of money. This is my very 1st mercedes and I am getting sick of the dealer not knowing NOTHING about my car. They sound like they dont have time for me. I live far from a dealer. Could someone tell me about my cars DATA CARD? Here's my vin# ----WDBRF52H86A861739. Could someone tell me what my car has in it. You could even post it here. I wouldn't mind. I have never even seen a data card before. Can anyone help me with this issue before I pay a lot of money to these people?

Thanks,
Old 04-14-2012, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum, curtis62.

You don't tell us what country you live in - I will assume USA, but the answer will change if not.

Your '06 should be equipped with an MHI phone system. Take a look at http://www.mbca.org/forum/1-how-guid...-and-bluetooth - the post labeled #4 (it is actually the fifth in the thread) has a picture of an MHI contact plate. If you have that in your car, all you need is an MHI Bluetooth dongle (puck). The section on adding a phone to an MHI system provides part numbers. Please understand - for some models, "prewired" means only that the necessary wiring harnesses are in place. The required electronics may not be. If you have the MHI contact plate, you're in good shape; if not, you need more - but you won't have to remove the seats of your car to install the expensive harnesses.

If your car completely lacks an MHI contact plate, you will need more. The How0To Guide discusses what, in some detail, and suggests sources that are much less expensive than the dealer.

I referred you to the MBCA forum because that thread is the most current. The thread on this forum (which cannot be edited easily) is quite long and involved. As you read the guide, pay attention to the first post, and then skip to the post on MHI systems. Those are the only ones that apply to your car.

You probably have a 3.5mm AUX stereo input in your glove box. If so, you can plug an mp3 player such as an iPod into it, and play music (after selecting AUX). The only control you will have through this input is volume. Music choices must be made on the player. Volume will mute if you receive a phone call over the integrated Bluetooth system. AUX is not an input for a phone.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-14-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM

2006 C230 Sport
Talking Hey Warren!

Thanks for the reply. I sure could use all the info about my new car I can get. This forum has been really helpful and the info hear here is really easy to use.

I found the place where the phone would be connected and its blank...just a couple of cables in there under a false floor. Not sure what they do but they are definitely there. I am now looking for the bluetooth device that will make the car phone system work as you described. Does anyone know where I can get the data card for my 2006 c230ss?

Thank you for all your great advice and help!