Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Wire Missing on Power Harness For Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Wire Missing on Power Harness For Head Unit?

Oh boy, what a day. I received my Alpine CDA9885 today along with my Scosche and my VW wiring harness. I pre-wired everything perfectly on those three units in about 40 minutes. Went to the car, pulled out the radio, ran the ipod cable, hooked everything up as instructed and NO POWER.

Yes, I reversed the yellow and red wires from the harness to the head unit. I tested the head unit at the battery and it worked just fine. Checked fuses, no problems there.

Called Crutchfield. The tech guy there had me look at the power harness in my CLK320 dash and tell him what wire lined up with the yellow wire from the VW wiring harness. Guess what? There was no wire there. He said that was why the head unit wasn't powering on.

He suggested running a wire to my fuse box to my wipers but as some of you know, running a wire behind the dash of one of these cars is next to impossible. I guess I will take the car to an audio shop and have them wire run for me.

Have any of you run into this problem?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Almost a Member!

'04 E-320 and a '98 Mustang GT Convertible
There has to be a wire for the power and the acc/ignition wire... if not how would your stock radio work... take a test light and start testing when you find a line use a volt meter.... thats what you're going to pay for when you take it to a shop... someone testing every line for connectivity with a test light and a volt meter then tapping those lines...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by csilverman
Oh boy, what a day. I received my Alpine CDA9885 today along with my Scosche and my VW wiring harness. I pre-wired everything perfectly on those three units in about 40 minutes. Went to the car, pulled out the radio, ran the ipod cable, hooked everything up as instructed and NO POWER.

Yes, I reversed the yellow and red wires from the harness to the head unit. I tested the head unit at the battery and it worked just fine. Checked fuses, no problems there.

Called Crutchfield. The tech guy there had me look at the power harness in my CLK320 dash and tell him what wire lined up with the yellow wire from the VW wiring harness. Guess what? There was no wire there. He said that was why the head unit wasn't powering on.

He suggested running a wire to my fuse box to my wipers but as some of you know, running a wire behind the dash of one of these cars is next to impossible. I guess I will take the car to an audio shop and have them wire run for me.

Have any of you run into this problem?
See wiring diagram for your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Wire Missing on Power Harness For Head Unit?-mb-wiring.gif  
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM

2001 CLK320
Idangeli, thanks but I did find out that my car has this CANBUS system and I need to tap off the cig lighter for power and dimmer.

I checked the wires going to my cig lighter and I have the following colors

Brown (ground?)
2 pink/green
2 gray

I don't know which is the power and which is the dimmer. I guess I'll have to go get a 12v tester to determine which is which unless someone in here knows. Thanks again.