Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

help for ml 320 2000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation help for ml 320 2000

Hello i have an ml 320 year 2000 and really need some help. my cd changer died on me and so i have no digital audio now (need to use radio). i was either going to change the cd changer to a new one or going to buy an ipod and connect that (prefer the ipod). I was reading online and i saw a few ways to connect the ipod which i dont want to do using the cassette adapter or fm adapter (wireless). I wanted to do something like a wired fm adapter or even better using my cd changer input for my ipod something similar such as the dension ice connection. if you guys have any brands in mind to do this and where i can find it i would appreciate it for either the wired fm transmitter or cd changer connector. i even saw on some german website a adapter that connects to the fm input on the back of the command system and gives u an aux input but i wasnt sure of this entirely. lastly if you know of a good cd changer that will allow me to play mp3 cds and still let me use my stock command system that would be nice since the oem cd changer doesnt let u play mp3 cds. thank you for your time and i look forward to hearing from you.

-shan
Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Shan, I'm not familiar enough with the specific equipment of the ML to be able to answer concerning an mp3 capable MB CDC, or any COMAND update that might be necessary to enable the capability - there are some superb ML experts here who may help - Paul H. Dick is one. His site is at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/index.htm, and you might try a PM or e-mailing him.

I agree that an FM modulator is superior to FM over-the-air systems or cassette interfaces; Harman Kardon makes the Drive+Play (B&W screen) and Drive+Play 2 (color screen) that has a wired FM modulator - see http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx Its advantage is that the iPod display is shown on the separate screen - but it is plainly an add on. You can use an iPod and other audio inputs with it.

My favorite is the Dension Gateway 500 (NOT the Ice>Link Plus, which is no longer sold) - in your case, the D2B version. The advantage over the Drive+Play is that it feeds the audio signal through the fiber optics, and is not limited by the FM stage. You can reap the results of recording high quality audio formats to your iPod. It suffers by comparison to the Drive+Play because you do not get song title readouts with your non-text capable head unit (however, you can set the system to control song, album, and artist selections from the iPod itself). See the writeup on the MOST version at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...88#post2234888, but be aware of the differences from the D2B version.

Dension USA has split from Dension Europe, and reconstituted itself as DICE electronics. I know nothing about their product, and was not happy with their support for the Ice>Link Plus when they were selling it. The Gateway 500 is marked by Dension Europe, but is selling in the U.S.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-03-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:26 PM

Exclamation

thanks a lot, but what is D2B and are you sure i can use it on m ml 320 year 2000. i ask this because i know my cd changer is not fiber optic (fiber optic cd changer came out in 2001) but am pretty sure the comand head unit is the same for all mls after 99.

AND DOES ANYONE HAVE THE DENSION GATEWAY 500 AND CAN INSTALL IT I LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN THE IRVINE ORANGE COUNTY/INLAND EMPIRE AREA, THANK YOU.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Exclamation audio help part2

also i found this website http://www.whnet.com/4x4/cd-install.html, they have this Crutchfield part number AUXIN2R since i have an ml 320 year 2000 can i use this 12 dollar wire to connect my ipod to the cd changer connector in the trunk...thank you
Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by zeeyo987
thanks a lot, but what is D2B and are you sure i can use it on m ml 320 year 2000. i ask this because i know my cd changer is not fiber optic (fiber optic cd changer came out in 2001) but am pretty sure the comand head unit is the same for all mls after 99.

AND DOES ANYONE HAVE THE DENSION GATEWAY 500 AND CAN INSTALL IT I LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN THE IRVINE ORANGE COUNTY/INLAND EMPIRE AREA, THANK YOU.
Oops, my bad! Only your phone system uses the D2B fiber optics.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 AM

so what should i do then, just buy a drive + play interface, does anyone know where i can find a guide to how to install this in my ml 320 or does anyone have a non fiber optic cd changer they are willing to sell. thank you.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 AM

oh and in order to remove the mcs unit i need to purchase the removal tools, is there any other way i can remove this without the tools, i saw somewhere online u can sharpen a credit card or something? thanks