Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Need clarification for 2000 E320 upgrade to BT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need clarification for 2000 E320 upgrade to BT

I searched this topic here, got great info (Thanks all, especially Skylaw) but I ended up a little confused. I would like to clear up a couple things before I take the plunge.

This is what I have.

Car----------------------2000 E320 wagon with standard radio, no NAV
Phone-------------------Startac
PSE---------------------Q6820460, SYN0234A, SW 9909
CD Changer--------------Model MC3198, A002 820 7989
Replacement phone-------Motorola/Verizon branded E815 with Bluetooth

If I understand correctly, I need to swap out my old PSE with the most current PSE that is D2B compatible. Wouldn't that be the 'V60 PSE' and not the autosense PSE? What's the difference? are they the same? which do I need?

I also need to get the V60 cradle and the puck. The Motorola E815 I already have but the sw version is different than what AWS calls for. How do I upgrade that?

And finally the prices at AWS and dealer.

Autosense PSE-----------$402
V60 cradle---------------$200
Puck---------------------$380

$1000 is steep to gain only a little safety and convenience. Ebay sounds much better but I don't see much. What search words are you guys using for better results? Are there other sources for these parts?

Thanks everybody for your help.

Stavros
Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Strobos,

Essentially you are correct. You can use either the "Autosense" PSE or a straight V60 PSE. The "Autosense" PSE could be used with either a StarTac or a V60 phone. An Autosense has numbers Q 682 0754, SYN 9266A. The straight V60 PSE had numbers Q 682 0845, or 0886, SYN 9266B. At one time, there was a significant price difference - I don't know why.

You upgrade the phone firmware at your service provider's store - usually a mall kiosk can't do it. You might call to be sure they will load the right firmware version; sometimes newer firmware won't work.

I would try ebay for the PSE. Since you're going to use Bluetooth, you don't need an antenna switch or a linear compensator. ebay can save you some money, but you do take some risk.

The old version of the V60 cradle is no longer made; it has been replaced by one that is slightly bigger, to accommodate the V60s phone (the only one that can be used on any network). It should still work fine with the V60 puck. The part number for the new cradle is BQ 682 0925, and BigMel tells us that it comes with adapters for the older connectors. I would buy the cradle from the dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-19-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the dealer today. The autosense PSE was not available but it can be ordered. I asked if he had the V60 PSE. He had the latest version, Q682 0971 and at almost half the price of the 'autosense' unit. But he told me to talk to the service department to confirm that it would work. It all sounded good until I talked to the service rep. The service rep was nice but knew nothing about upgrading the phone system and advised me not to do it. He really didn't want to go there. Furthermore, he gave me AWS's number to go through them. I told him I already did and AWS recommended I take the car to service dept to determine what components if any needed to be changed. He had no answer! I was truly amazed by the utter lack of knowledge and or communication at mercedes about this matter! I was laughing all the way home. I knew far more about this then they did.

I already decided to go through with this and buy the V60 cradle, buy the puck and the V60 PSE with the latest Q number, Q682 0971 unless somebody has knowledge that this particular Q will not work with my wife's 2000 E320 wagon. Otherwise consider it done.

Thanks again,

Stavros