Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Neep help adding socket in center console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neep help adding socket in center console

It's been a long time since i've posted.....but I really need help with this one.

I want to add sirius to my 2003 S430 but the only lighter socket that I can use is the one in the ash tray. But I also need to plug in my phone charger, fm modulater for my mp3 and anything else.

So, I decided to try to clean it up and install a cigerette light 3 socket adapter in the center console under the arm rest.

The 3 socket unit has a neg (black) wire and pos (red) wire.

I fiqured I would wire the new unit to the existing cig lighter in the ashtray. I pulled the ashtray but im not sure which wire is the hot wire. I have a brown wire and 2 other wires.....one looks mostly grey with at dark (maybe blue) stripe and the other is mostly dark (mabye black) with a grey stripe....the colors arent real vivid though.

Can anyone give me some guidence on this.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2007, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The brown should be ground. The other wires are black/grey and grey/black. The black/grey would be the cigarette lighter power wire.

You may have difficulties figuring which one is which (from the main colour) but one should be feeding the centre bottom part of the cigarette lighter while the other one is for the illumination. Also the cigarette lighter power wire is bigger than the bulb wire, as big as the ground wire.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The brown should be ground. The other wires are black/grey and grey/black. The black/grey would be the cigarette lighter power wire.

You may have difficulties figuring which one is which (from the main colour) but one should be feeding the centre bottom part of the cigarette lighter while the other one is for the illumination. Also the cigarette lighter power wire is bigger than the bulb wire, as big as the ground wire.
Great!! Thanks.

Regarding the ground...the only screw that I am seeing to a attached the ground wire too are the screws that I used to remove the ashtray.Will one of these screws be ok? Can I just attach the ground wire from my added on socket to the brown ground wire??
Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by GP03
Great!! Thanks.

Regarding the ground...the only screw that I am seeing to a attached the ground wire too are the screws that I used to remove the ashtray.Will one of these screws be ok? Can I just attach the ground wire from my added on socket to the brown ground wire??
I cannot comment the screws, perhaps W220 owners can, or you can simply measure with a multimeter. The cigarette lighter ground wire would also do.

I guess you did take into account the fuse size, should not change the fuse to a bigger one, the wires probably are not big enough for a bigger fuse.