Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Old vs. New Ipod Integration Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R500
Old vs. New Ipod Integration Kit

I just bought an '06 R500. I want to use my ipod in it. I opened the glovebox and found an ipod connector cable. When I plug it into my ipod I see the Mercedes logo on my ipod and I'm able to hear what is playing on my ipod over the stereo. I cannot control the ipod at all while this is hooked up. I've read about the OEM ipod kit that allows one to control the ipod via the steering wheel. Is there any way to convert whatever I have over to that kit or do I need to buy the new kit and install it from scratch?

Thanks,

bfrank@indy.rr.com
Old 09-28-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Unfortunately you don't fully describe the cable - a standard 3.5mm stereo cable (with connectors like those on the earbuds) or the iPod connector that plugs into the bottom of the iPod. So, here goes:

The iPod cable: If your car has a cable that connects to the bottom of the iPod, then it is likely you already have the Apple/MB kit - especially since your iPod displays the MB logo when connected. That would not happen if you are connected via just a 3.5mm cable. Once you connect via this cable, control of the iPod should transfer to the steering wheel buttons and no longer function on the iPod while it is connected. You should have readout of information on your instrument cluster display (when playing a song, you should see song titles as they are shown on the iPod itself, though long titles will be truncated).

If this is the case, there should be an instruction manual of some kind that steps you through this.

I am guessing at this point, because I have never seen the MB iPod kit in operation - but if it is at all like the Gateway 500 iPod device I use, you must switch to the audio display portion of the instrument cluster display (lower left buttons on steering wheel). Once in the audio display, you can use the up/down arrows (upper left on steering wheel) to change songs. Your volume control (upper right buttons) will always work on whatever audio source is in use.

If you have COMAND, you may also be able to use the arrows on the COMAND controls to change songs - but there will be no display of iPod information on the display itself. That appears only on the instrument cluster.

Alternatively (and less than likely because of the MB logo on your iPod when plugged in) if you are connected via a 3.5mm cable: I am not aware of Mercedes supplying a cable to connect your iPod through the AUX jack; if you are connecting via an AUX input in the glove compartment (a standard 3.5mm stereo connector) the cable connecting to the iPod would have been supplied by someone else.

Ipods connected via a standard 3.5mm mini jack should retain control on the iPod itself.

Some of the September '07 release iPods have had a software problem that causes freezing when connected to external audio devices; the songs in fact continue to advance, but the song titles will not change on the iPod display. Be sure to keep your iPod software updated through iTunes.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-29-2007 at 06:06 AM.