Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

lets do some customizing.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Cl 500
lets do some customizing.....

ok, so here's teh skinny, my bro has a Infiniti FX35('05) with the standard system and not the Tech package whish i wish he woulda got. and he also has a Nokia N95, what he wants is to find a way to hook up a new screen in place of the stock 7inch digital thingy they have, so he can plug his phone in and operate it via the screen while driving.... all he would need is a regular RCA cable input for him to be able to plug up Music(he has 2 4gig cards for that), operate his GPS and make and recive calls through the screen/car speakers.

i know theoreticaly its possible, just what do we need to do in order to complete something like this?

and would he be able to include a switch to tap into the screen when he needs to and leave it stock looking when he doesent?

thanks

ALi
Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
here's the skinny on that, since i did try this a while ago on a Cayenne. you need to to do a RGBS conversion to NTCS, swap out the screen is easy enough, however he might have to retain a portion of it. They usually cost anywhere from $50-$200 plus shipping

Next mount the other screen and it's electronics, I replaced a cayenne screen before with an Alpine touchscreen, and it didn't quite fill the hole

Next i would recommend the Alpine V hub or the Kenwood interface KOS V1000

a set of front inputs (low level) from the factory along with the video to AV1 input. that is now your factory input when you are on AV1 all the buttons work on the factory radio just level set the gains before hand if you use a converter. then you are in there like swim wear... just add amps and speakers down the road or if it is a 4 channel factory head unit, run it back into the factory amp the new signal

Hope that helps you out

Sure i did make it sound easier than said, but it is simple, just a time consuming job to pull it off looking factory

Later
Old 10-12-2007, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Cl 500
wow that sounds too easy, he will keep the factory unit, what unit will he need to make the audio and video unit? which one exactly?

ALi
Old 10-13-2007, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
don't know, I would have to see the unit. The screen would be a touchscreen from either Kenwood or Alpine, and the processor would be the Kenwood or the Alpine. The major difference is the Alpine will give you 5.1/DTS where Kenwood doesn't have that option. Also there is a way on the alpine to insert the RGBS from the factory into the VHUB Pro's navigation, and still use the touchscreen. though you will now have to take select AV1 as source, and VSEL/NAV as video of the factory. that unit only uses one sync from what i remember so you won't have to dissect it too bad. Also the gear is expensive so plan on him spending some money... and the first time you ask for a deal... trust me there are several shops around the area that you live... they will give you a deal. the only other competent person i knew in the area to pull it off, was Dan, but he passed on to the installer gods, (he lost a health battle) he was a great installer.