Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Pioneer Avic Navi...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C55 AMG
Pioneer Avic Navi...

Hey guys looking to buy an avic for my 05 c55. I'm looking at either the avicd3, z1, or z2. I know a few of you have each one. Please tell me why i should pay double the d3 for the z1 and another 200-300 more for the z2. I like the z1 the best... Please give me any pros and cons if you could i'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance...

P.S. anyone know a good installer in the chicago land area i can trust to do this install???
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 C400, 03' C240, '79 240D
Before i got my nav in i was considering the z1/z2 but in the end i ended up goin with the Kenwood DNX 7100. The Kenny was a cheaper than both and had nav built in just like the Z1/Z2 except theres no HD space for music...but that doesnt matter anyways cuz u can connect an ipod to it PLUS a seperate harddisk via USB so in that case u could have a 500GB or 1 terabyte HD whereas the Z1/Z2 has only 10GB.
Anyways the major diff that i heard from the Z1 to the Z2 is updated maps, faster ipod connection, and a few other small things...but basically still the same unit.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Kenwood for me too, though it has to be Excelon series

F1 here is one in the dash of a similar vehicle

good luck
Old 10-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Almost a Member!

c220
Nice HU you got there..
Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 AM

2006 CLK350
nav looks great. so when all this is installed, does your cd changer in the car still work? and there is no need to mod your speakers or anything right? they connect it and everything like normal.........
Old 10-29-2007, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
no changer, if I wanted to I could of done a 10 disc for $300, but it has a single disc in dash plus iPod and a USB input. It was a base model with no amp.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

8 second bathtub
I had a bad experience with the Pioneer in-dash nav. It was a while ago so I'm not positive on the model, but it was the mid-range flip out screen.

I bought it at a local best buy and had them install it. After installation the nav never worked and the ipod hookup I had them put in did not work either. I took it back to them, and this time a different person did the troubleshooting than the person who installed it. I got a call 20 minutes later asking me to come to the shop. The one they sold me and installed had the serial number scratched off so there was some shady **** going on with the employees. The manager said he'd look into it but I wasn't having it. I told him I want a refund or I'm going to corporate so they gave me a refund on the spot and a $50 gift certificate to the store.

Moral of the story is make sure everything checks out before you go through with it. Meaning, open the box and inspect the product. (I didn't do this, they just took it back to the shop after I paid for it) Also, make sure the person who is doing the install knows what they're doing so you don't get the car back and its messed up.

It was good while it lasted, sound quality was nice and the menus were pretty clear-cut, just beware of stuff like that.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't know there was a swear filter. Kinda look like an idiot now. It didn't seem vulgar when I was typing it.