Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Bluetooth always on. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Angry Bluetooth always on. HELP!

My office is right in front of my parking space at work. Everytime my cell phone rings, about 20 seconds into the call, BAM! Comand "grabs" my call and transfers it to the car.

And it will not stop. If I transfer it back to the headset, the car will grab it again in another 20 seconds.

Is this how the BT puck/Comand work? Is BT on all the time even though the car is off and locked?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Your car's Bluetooth system is designed to pair with the phone when within about 30 feet of it, even with the ignition off and the key removed. You'll have to manually break the BT pairing when you leave the car (and reestablish it when you get back in); give up the primo parking spot for one further away; or move your office. Yes, I know - the last one is especially unlikely.

If people are calling you on the cellphone number, you may be able to use "no-answer call forwarding " (if your service provider offers it) to forward calls to a land line in your office; and you'd then have to remember to use a land line when initiating calls. This procedure could interfere with receiving text messages from forwarded calls, if you rely on them.

I do not know if turning the COMAND power switch off when you leave the car will solve the problem; or if re-pairing the phone would be necessary when you get in the car and turn it back on. You could try it.

Sorry - those are the only alternatives I know of.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-29-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
try pressing the TEL button twice before leaving the car. I have heard mixed things about this.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Originally Posted by baxterdown
My office is right in front of my parking space at work. Everytime my cell phone rings, about 20 seconds into the call, BAM! Comand "grabs" my call and transfers it to the car.

And it will not stop. If I transfer it back to the headset, the car will grab it again in another 20 seconds.

Is this how the BT puck/Comand work? Is BT on all the time even though the car is off and locked?
I suggest manually disabling the bluetooth device on you cell phone. Navigate to the menu on your cell phone and you should see the device(s) that are paired.
Highlight the device and select "off" which should be a 1 button process. Don't go thru the process of "removing device". When you return to your car, then you can "enable" again. I've encountered this problem when my cell phone is paired up with my bluetooth headset AND my GPS NAVI device.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Turning off bluetooth is the easiest way to "unpair" the device....then when you go to leave the office and get in the car, just turn it back on....pain in the *** I know, but at least you know the BT is working well.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:30 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Depending on your phone, someone posted a great idea on another thread. He programmed one of his soft keys to be the BT on / off toggle. So, when he got out of the car, he hit one button to turn BT off. As he walked towards his car he hit the button again to turn BT on. This is all done on the phone, nothing with the puck. I think once the puck loses a connection, it hangs around for 10-20 mins, then will go to sleep.

My parking space is about 1/2 a mile from my "cube" so I don't have this problem. On the bright side, I get regular cardio twice a day!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
Turning off bluetooth is the easiest way to "unpair" the device....then when you go to leave the office and get in the car, just turn it back on....pain in the *** I know, but at least you know the BT is working well.
This is what I do if I work close to the car. If I go further away from the car, the phone loses connection and does not reconnect if I approach the car later (but do not enter the car).

If I had to stay close to the car, I would close and lock doors, switch BT off from the phone and turn it on after a short while, so that I do not forget to switch it on (some may want to save battery and keep BT off).

I have not heard about pressing the TEL button twice, have to try that later on.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Skylaw, thanks for the great explanation and the funny suggestions. They made me ROTFL!

Now that I think about it, voice command and menu buttons (SAT, TEL, etc)don't work when the Comand if off.

I'm gonna turn of Comand when I get to the office tomorrow and see what happens. I'll keep you posted!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Originally Posted by jallison12
Depending on your phone, someone posted a great idea on another thread. He programmed one of his soft keys to be the BT on / off toggle. So, when he got out of the car, he hit one button to turn BT off. As he walked towards his car he hit the button again to turn BT on. This is all done on the phone, nothing with the puck. I think once the puck loses a connection, it hangs around for 10-20 mins, then will go to sleep.

My parking space is about 1/2 a mile from my "cube" so I don't have this problem. On the bright side, I get regular cardio twice a day!
Hey, great suggestion for the soft keys. In the past, I have programmed those for other menus. I've added one of them for bluetooth. Thanks!