Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

HU replacement on 2003 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
HU replacement on 2003 E320

The audio system in my 2003 E320 recently died. The dealer tested by swapping in a good unit and then instructed me it would be ~$1200 to replace so I wanted to explore other options. I don't have a COMAND system and it doesn't appear there is a Bose system in the vehicle either (no logos anywhere in sight). I am getting no power at all to the system and the door to the CD changer (located below the current headunit in the dash) is not functioning either. Fuses checked, etc. to no avail.

The current (dead) unit is the factory unit and all components are original factory equipment, so I'm assuming the audio gateway is present.

I would like to put in a double DIN unit (Pioneer D3, Apine IVAW200, or similar). I haven't seen an double DIN dash kits and was going to manufacture something myself for the mounting. Other than the new headunit, I assume I would have to purchase a wiring harness (saw some at Car Stereo Fitting Kits - Mercedes Benz, but looking for any input). Also, with Bluetooth functionality on a new headunit, are there any other requirements after the new headunit install? The iPod connection would also be used.

Will volume control on the steering wheel require any retrofit?

I am debating upgrading speakers and amp but want to get some sound back in the car first.

Any help/advice is appreciated...
Old 11-07-2007, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Do you really want something different from what you had? If the HU is broken, you might get a similar one cheap from eBay, from those guys who have changed their HU to Comand.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:40 PM

2003 E320
I would like to upgrade it. I spend a lot of time in my car and the bluetooth and iPod functions would be good to have. Is it a simple upgrade to go to the COMAND system with existing wiring, etc.? Maybe that's the route. I don't know much about the basic functionality of the COMAND units, but wouldn't I still need to add on the bluetooth adapter? Nav not important - I have a Garmin Nuvi portable that works well...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gberg
I would like to upgrade it. I spend a lot of time in my car and the bluetooth and iPod functions would be good to have. Is it a simple upgrade to go to the COMAND system with existing wiring, etc.? Maybe that's the route. I don't know much about the basic functionality of the COMAND units, but wouldn't I still need to add on the bluetooth adapter? Nav not important - I have a Garmin Nuvi portable that works well...
The BT telephony support would be independent from the HU, the same with Audio 20/50 and Comand, it would not come with Comand.

Not sure about the iPod interface but I assume it is third party only for Audio 20 but for Comand you would have an MB OEM option.

If your car does not have AGW, it could be expensive and some work to retrofit Comand even without APS. On the other hand, if you do have AGW, a non-OEM HU isn't straightforward. In any case a non-OEM HU and the car integration isn't straightforward.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:41 PM

2003 E320
Ok. Quick (and maybe dumb) question - I got the head unit pulled out, and disconnected the fiber connection and there is no power/electrical connection cable to the back of the unit. Just 2 fiber connections beside a 4-pin connector with 3 wires going in. Shouldn't there be a power connection on the other side of the headunit, and if so, I wonder what happened to it. I've searched the wiring and cant find anything with that conncetor type (looks similar to a small coax connector)....... ???
Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gberg
Ok. Quick (and maybe dumb) question - I got the head unit pulled out, and disconnected the fiber connection and there is no power/electrical connection cable to the back of the unit. Just 2 fiber connections beside a 4-pin connector with 3 wires going in. Shouldn't there be a power connection on the other side of the headunit, and if so, I wonder what happened to it. I've searched the wiring and cant find anything with that conncetor type (looks similar to a small coax connector)....... ???

If I understood right, you have the fibre connector and a 4-pin connector with three copper wires. That is enough for a HU. The three wires are ground, permanent plus and wake up for MOST.

I've understood the basic US HU being an audio 50 without APS. You would then have the AGW at the trunk, connected with fibre to the HU. AGW includes the audio amplifier.