Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Pre wire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 C230 Sport, 97 C280 Sport
Pre wire Question

hi guys,

I have 2007 C230 Sport, i have the harmon kardon sound system with the cd changer. no tele aid or navigation. ive looked around and heard that US - Spec benz's come pre wired. But I live in Canada. Im not sure if my car is prewired for cell phone. I have all the button on the dash and steering wheel and when I push them is says no phone cnnected. How do I tell if my car is pre wired?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
There's prewired and then there's prewired.

What "prewired" mostly means is that wiring harnesses are in place.

A phone installation consists of a connector in your console to which a "cradle" is connected that holds either a phone or a Bluetooth device.

Secondly, it consists of a box of electronics mounted in the trunk that makes the phone work.

"Prewired," then, means the harnesses that connect these components are already there.

Sometimes even the harnesses aren't factory installed, but in any event you always must buy the components noted--about $1500.

For '07-on, some cars (USA at least) have it all as an option, and all you do is plug in your cradle and phone/Bluetooth transmitter and go.

What's in your console where a phone would mount? If there's a roughly triangular plastic cover, you may be good to go. Otherwise, you don't have anything.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 C230 Sport, 97 C280 Sport
center console

i have nothing in there. im interested in possibly the argos kit that is now almost available for cars with fiberoptics.

but if i was to go back to mercedes how much will i be looking at. When i hit the buttons on the wheel it says phone not connected, does this mean that everything is there just that i need the blue tooth cradle that goes in my armrest??????
Old 11-12-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Harpov
i have nothing in there. im interested in possibly the argos kit that is now almost available for cars with fiberoptics.

but if i was to go back to mercedes how much will i be looking at. When i hit the buttons on the wheel it says phone not connected, does this mean that everything is there just that i need the blue tooth cradle that goes in my armrest??????
Where do you think you would put the BT kit if you confirm that you do not have a connector for it in the centre console box?

I believe lkhris said you would not be even prewired then, not sure about that myself but at least you would need the control box etc.