Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Kinetiks Battery In Place of Mercedes battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
Kinetiks Battery In Place of Mercedes battery

I have an 03 e55 and I have too monstrous of a system for the stock battery. Would you swap it out for a kinetiks 2000? yes or no and why? Thanks!

Here is a link to the battery I am thinking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KINETIK-HC2000-K...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-15-2007, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The Mercedes OEM battery is actually much larger than anything that you can buy through normal distribution, like auto parts stores, speed shops, and aftermarket audio shops.

I would not change the OEM battery for any other battery. For conventional starting, lighting, and ignition you cannot beat the engineered solution from Mercedes.

If you feel that your audio system needs more available current, or if you wish to use it without the engine running for extended periods, an additional deep cycle battery might be useful. Deep cycle batteries differ from SLI batteries in that they are not suitable to provide the short term very high current needed by a starter motor, but accel at providing medium currents for long periods, and are designed to be fully discharged without harm.

When adding a second battery, you must have an isolation system so the batteries can be recharged, while not discharging each other.

You can buy very good batteries for much less than the one you asked about. It is probably a rebranded Exide deep cycle unit anyhow.

You can improve the response of your loudspeaker system by tuning it to the interior of the car. Some high end audio shops have the equipment to do this. Better response requires less current. If your desire is to crank so loud the heads bob in the car in front of you, you need proper bypassing in the power amp output stage. This usually means careful redesign of the current supply for the amp. I use ribbon cable for loudspeaker runs, and calculated capacitors at the amp terminals to eliminate the impedence of the voltage supply cable, and ceramic and tantalum capacitors as needed on the amp output stage for correct bypassing. If you can find a shop that knows how to do those things, you will be money ahead and have a kicka$$ system. Other shops are just speaker jockeys who will jack up your car and rotate your wallet.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 S600
+1 One of the best responses I've read in a while. Complete, educational, accurate and unbiased....very refreshing. Kind of like CNN (NOT!)....