Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

speaker noise distortion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008 | 03:06 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E420T
speaker noise distortion

hi guys, took out the cd changer/amp bracket this weekend. kept the bose amp, just took away the cd changer as i dont need it with my new HU. however, after reconnecting the bose amp and HU i have a slight distortion noise (low) on the speakers when starting to play cd for example. what could have gone wrong? something with connectors? thx 4 helping....
Old 02-13-2008 | 06:14 PM

'87 300E
Originally Posted by KC420
hi guys, took out the cd changer/amp bracket this weekend. kept the bose amp, just took away the cd changer as i dont need it with my new HU. however, after reconnecting the bose amp and HU i have a slight distortion noise (low) on the speakers when starting to play cd for example. what could have gone wrong? something with connectors? thx 4 helping....
Is this a stock amp? Try setting a the HPF on the h/u to filter away bad freqs. to the speakers. Did u wire and speaker channels in parellel ? Doing so will cause higher power output from the head and distortion along with it.
Old 02-17-2008 | 06:03 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E420T
HI Dan,

basically, the car had a stock becker cassette deck with 6cd changer in the trunk along with the bose system (speakers/amp, or if you can call it that).
all i did was take out the HU and replaced it with a newer one that actually reads mp3s etc. now, the standard iso-connectors was all it took, ie: old hu out, new one in. nothing else.
i also have a slight suspicion it may be the new radio that is now first connected to the bose amp somehow, ie... "double amping" the sound.... yet it is not loud really, or the sound is not "overpowered". there is just that distortion sound..
the way it is now i am wondering if i wouldn't be better off avoiding the bose amp all together, but i didn'T want to fiddle with the wiring &all....as it is quite complex.
any thoughts as to what the cause could be, and the workaround/fix?
cheers mate
Old 02-17-2008 | 09:03 PM

'87 300E
It may just be that the aftermarket h/u is too powerful for stock speakers. This is often the case when just the h/u is replaced in many cars. Where is the current amp located?
Old 03-07-2008 | 07:47 AM
Almost a Member!

MB E420T
Hi Dan Audio man,

see my post on thread "bypassing bose...wiring issues" for yr answer...
thx for the feedback