Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Aftermarket XM installation ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 PM
BBH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 CL63 (was 2003 CL55)
Aftermarket XM installation ?

Does anybody know of a good aftermarket install of an XM radio in a 2003 CL55 (d2b system...)?

I have heard of somehow coaxing a player into the ash tray, but while I don't need the tray itself, I can't live without the lighter socket.

I can play my XM now just by throwing all the parts on the seat and plugging it into the aux input in the glovebox, but it looks like sh**.

Any "artists" out there in the Fort Lauderdale area that have actually figured it out?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
Here are some pictures of my install in a w210....

In europe there is an option called "ashtray delete" this option gets rid of the lighter portion of the ashtray (but still gives you a 12v power socket) and gives you a lot more room inside the ashtray to hardwire an xm receiver....I am not sure if this part exists for your car but I would think it does, you can contact Steve @ mbenznl he would probably have this part (if it exists for your car).

You can tap power from behind the ashtray power connector so that the receiver only turns on when the key is in the auxillary position, you can then run a wire from the back of your glovebox (aux input) into the ashtray for audio. The antenna can be run to anyplace you would like.....

To tap power from the cigarette lighter, you must first dissassemble your XM Receivers Cigarette light adapter, you can then solder two wires for the power and ground (usually the center is positive) to the appropriate leads at the 12v cigarette lighter power source This will leave your 12v cigarette lighter still useable but will still power your xm radio.

What kind of XM reciever do you have?

The Pioneer Inno is great because you can record songs, and take it with you like an ipod, you can also put music on it. You can get a car dock so you can take the inno with you.

Here are some pictures of the way I installed my Pioneer Inno.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 PM
BBH

Thanks for the response. Where did you put the xm antenna?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:13 PM

Tesla Roadster Sport
I put the xm antenna on the roof over by the rear windshield. You can run the wire underneath the door sills, behind the back seats and along the gasket for the rear windshield and run it up to the middle of the roof so its inconspicous. I did this to give it more a factory look.

If you don't want to take apart your XM radio's power supply you can use the 12v adapter and plug it into the ashtray 12v socket. I am not sure how much room you will have behind your ashtray to hardwire it in, but if you have a little bit of room you should be able to squeeze in the power supply somewhere back there. Make sure the modified xm radio power supply is fully taped up so that there is no risk of short circuiting anything. You can use the existing plastic enclosure and tape it up real good to ensure that the board is not exposed.

Last edited by husk323; 02-16-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:19 PM

92 300E Sportline
here is a pic of how I do the xm commander and then we either install the xm antenna inside the fresh air intake grill in the hood or with a lot more time it can go in the trunk lid as it is composite on all cl'/ its a lot of work getting the coax through the retractor reel. We also do a direct audio input tap on the factory command... Good Luck!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket XM installation ?-dsc01278.jpg  
Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM

2023 C300w/AMG package
[QUOTE=BBH;2654918]Does anybody know of a good aftermarket install of an XM radio in a 2003 CL55 (d2b system...)?

I have heard of somehow coaxing a player into the ash tray, but while I don't need the tray itself, I can't live without the lighter socket.

I can play my XM now just by throwing all the parts on the seat and plugging it into the aux input in the glovebox, but it looks like sh**.

Any "artists" out there in the Fort Lauderdale area that have actually figured it out?[/QUOTE

If you do not have NAV:
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket XM installation ?-xmradio-2.jpg  
Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
BBH

Nice looking

Originally Posted by scott cairncros
here is a pic of how I do the xm commander and then we either install the xm antenna inside the fresh air intake grill in the hood or with a lot more time it can go in the trunk lid as it is composite on all cl'/ its a lot of work getting the coax through the retractor reel. We also do a direct audio input tap on the factory command... Good Luck!

Scott
That is a nice looking installation. I will do without rather than "junk" it up. Your installation looks good. I assume you run the audio through the aux input, or is it through an FM adapter?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:31 AM

92 300E Sportline
Yes, we use the aux input on an 03 / on 00 to 02 cl's + s class we do a direct line input tap on the command 2.5 for sat radio and or ipod.....
Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
BBH

Originally Posted by scott cairncros
Yes, we use the aux input on an 03 / on 00 to 02 cl's + s class we do a direct line input tap on the command 2.5 for sat radio and or ipod.....
Are you planning on visiting South Florida anytime soon ?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:01 AM

92 300E Sportline
No, I dont get out east much but I will let you know if I do! Remember San Diego's not a bad vacation spot....

Scott
Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
BBH

Yes, San Diego is nice. I used to fly out there quite a bit before I retired (as 35 year airline pilot...).

The problem is getting my car out there....